Rishi Sunak announces £350 support for households

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Energy company profits at an all time high.
Energy prices at an all time high.

Seems like an obvious solution.

And if we can afford to write off billions of pounds of Conservative Government fraud, or bail out billions of pounds of banking crisis debt, why the hell can't we subsidise the cost of fuel?
Same argument for lifting the poorest out of food and fuel poverty, or paying our essential services a decent wage.

Eat the rich and all that

So private energy companies werent previously raking in enormous profits?
But that's business. Those that weren't went bust. Those with profits were able to survive and keep providing customers with energy. Edf aren't allowed to put their prices up in France and now set to lose €9billion. No doubt their government will have to bail them out at some point.

Energy company profits at an all time high.
Energy prices at an all time high.

Seems like an obvious solution.

And if we can afford to write off billions of pounds of Conservative Government fraud, or bail out billions of pounds of banking crisis debt, why the hell can't we subsidise the cost of fuel?
Same argument for lifting the poorest out of food and fuel poverty, or paying our essential services a decent wage.

Eat the rich and all that

Perhaps the living wage that is being trialled is a solution.

My issue with the fuel "discount" is that it's a loan you can't opt out of and that you're forced to pay back.

On top of that, many who never actually receive it (as they didn't live in their own property when it was applied to bills) will still have to pay it back through higher bills for a couple of years in the future.

My issue with the fuel "discount" is that it's a loan you can't opt out of and that you're forced to pay back.

On top of that, many who never actually receive it (as they didn't live in their own property when it was applied to bills) will still have to pay it back through higher bills for a couple of years in the future.
Surely it will be optionally. I don't need the loan and will not be accepting it or paying it back if I don't sign anything

I mentioned dwr cymru yesterday which is supposedly not for profit. Which basically means all the bosses get the profits and show a clear balance sheet. They have announced increase of up to 7% and said most will only see 0.1% increase. Why this isn't an even increase for every one? Not sure how they work it out. I get my water from the head of the mountain- a couple of miles as the bird flies and it goes through one treatment plant. Surely I should pay less...

At the risk of sounding like a loony lefty (I'm actually quite centrist these days).

I believe that any service that is a necessity should be in public ownership. Water/Gas/Electricity etc would benefit greatly from not having to make profit for shareholders, and instead any revenue flowing through it could be circulated back into the system to keep it running more efficiently and cut costs to the consumer.

Completely agree with this, I work in one of those sectors and from my experience (and others that work in other utilities) we are staring down the barrel of a massive crisis due to lack of investment in critical infrastructure.

Surely it will be optionally. I don't need the loan and will not be accepting it or paying it back if I don't sign anything
From my understanding it's not optional. Plus if your child leaves and buys his own house. He will have to pay back on the new property.

IMO the £200 should be increased and targeted on low income households.
I don't like the price increases but I can economise.

Nobody can force me to take debt, I see legal action if they do
Heard on the radio that it will be paid into your account. You then have the option of just paying the bill as it arrises and not touching the £200 so when they claw it back they just take it from the £200 sitting in your account.
If you're on direct debit, who knows what happens...

Heard on the radio that it will be paid into your account. You then have the option of just paying the bill as it arrises and not touching the £200 so when they claw it back they just take it from the £200 sitting in your account.
If you're on direct debit, who knows what happens...
I see so many issues with this. If I leave it there then that's a benefit to the company, but what happens when I swap, plus the company will look to lower my direct debit. Just give us a choice. Rather the money go elsewhere than sit with a power company for 5 years

For some it's going to hard. Some difficult decisions, full sky package with Netflix and Disney + or a warm home
This goes on the assumption that people have a choice between essentials and luxuries, as opposed to the choice between one essential and another essential. Heat or eat should never be a choice someone has to make.

Conversely, if Sky or Netflix decided they were going to add 50% to their pricing model they would lose a hell of a lot of customers (and profit) because it's a non essential service and people can choose not to have them.

This goes on the assumption that people have a choice between essentials and luxuries, as opposed to the choice between one essential and another essential. Heat or eat should never be a choice someone has to make.

Conversely, if Sky or Netflix decided they were going to add 50% to their pricing model they would lose a hell of a lot of customers (and profit) because it's a non essential service and people can choose not to have them.

Unfortunately Chelsea and chantelle at the school gate see it differently. Luckily in my area the council sold their housing stock to a 3rd party and they have spent a load of money making them super energy efficient. Not sure if any dish is standard fitting.

Unfortunately Chelsea and chantelle at the school gate see it differently. Luckily in my area the council sold their housing stock to a 3rd party and they have spent a load of money making them super energy efficient. Not sure if any dish is standard fitting.
Well there's no helping some people.

My wife and I call them Deanos. The keeping up appearances, buy now, pay (more) later type.

Well there's no helping some people.

My wife and I call them Deanos. The keeping up appearances, buy now, pay (more) later type.
Don't get me wrong, some people are in awful situations, a lot are no fault of their own but some don't help themselves. My wife has tried helping some of these with work but they are work shy, always coming up with am excuse and letting her down. Rather sit at home and claim benefits than do honest work.

Don't get me wrong, some people are in awful situations, a lot are no fault of their own but some don't help themselves. My wife has tried helping some of these with work but they are work shy, always coming up with am excuse and letting her down. Rather sit at home and claim benefits than do honest work.
I think we've both gone off topic here tbh. We shouldn't be discussing the poor or work shy, it's divisive and detracts from the issue.

Instead we should be talking about how economically illiterate this £350 'support' is and how it affects each and every one of us.

This £200 off energy per household for example. Repayable in five yearly payments of £40, right? Now what happens if you're a student living with four others in an HMO. Next year you all go your separate ways and each and every one of you has to pay that £40 per year equalling at a whopping £1000 repayable to the energy company netting them £800 profit for free. It's just another cash grab off of those who can least afford it and an unnecessary annoyance for those who can.

I think we've both gone off topic here tbh. We shouldn't be discussing the poor or work shy, it's divisive and detracts from the issue.

Instead we should be talking about how economically illiterate this £350 'support' is and how it affects each and every one of us.

This £200 off energy per household for example. Repayable in five yearly payments of £40, right? Now what happens if you're a student living with four others in an HMO. Next year you all go your separate ways and each and every one of you has to pay that £40 per year equalling at a whopping £1000 repayable to the energy company netting them £800 profit for free. It's just another cash grab off of those who can least afford it and an unnecessary annoyance for those who can.
Doubt it will work like that. When I was a student one person was named on the bills so will be their responsibility to repay the £200

Back