The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you would have ;) All in all you are making buying the pump look very tempting to speed up the process as I usually have to do it over a couple of evenings.
That was my main reason because I did the same, collect the water one day, brew the next. Now I don’t need to do that.

I also like the fact there is less waste though I may have to accept the membrane will need replacing more frequently. Mind you, they (Vyair) do say it should be replaced each year.

I thought you would have ;) All in all you are making buying the pump look very tempting to speed up the process as I usually have to do it over a couple of evenings.
It’s very tempting isn’t it! For the time being I’m going the alternative (cheaper) route of upgrading to a 150gpl membrane and matching flow restrictor; which should triple the output rate… I’ll report on how well that works :-)

It’s very tempting isn’t it! For the time being I’m going the alternative (cheaper) route of upgrading to a 150gpl membrane and matching flow restrictor; which should triple the output rate… I’ll report on how well that works :-)
Good luck keep us posted
My problem was a drop in water pressure after a so called ‘SMART’ water meter was installed 🥴

Just had a thought... I usually brew with a blend of ro water and tap water to get to a desired water profile. Could some of the 'waste water' from the ro filter be used as part of the blend? 🤔 Or is that defeating the object? I can't decide if that's a stupid question or not 😂

Just had a thought... I usually brew with a blend of ro water and tap water to get to a desired water profile. Could some of the 'waste water' from the ro filter be used as part of the blend? 🤔 Or is that defeating the object? I can't decide if that's a stupid question or not 😂
You’d be putting back what you’d just taken out. 😂

Cool thanks it looks like it needs to be catalytic activated carbon not just activated carbon. Anyway I picked up one of these to test out before I go full RO.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007I6MN72?psc=1&smid=A7U8PO7D25UJR&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

That seems quite expensive; I got a whole 3-stage RO system for only a bit more than that…

1628371021975.png

So a question my water utility uses chloramine and the description says the carbon filter does not reduce chloramine a will these be filtered by the RO then?
May be worth having a read of this: Removing Chloramines – Pure Water Products, LLC
The conclusion seems to be that the carbon filters in RO units are reasonably effective at remove chloramine because the flow rate is so low; and that ‘higher grade’ carbon filters do the job better.
However my understanding is that Camden neutralises both chlorine and chloramine - so you should be fine just adding a bit to the filtered water before use. Personally I prefer not to use 100% RO anyway, so I always add some Camden because of the tap water I’m adding.

May be worth having a read of this: Removing Chloramines – Pure Water Products, LLC
The conclusion seems to be that the carbon filters in RO units are reasonably effective at remove chloramine because the flow rate is so low; and that ‘higher grade’ carbon filters do the job better.
However my understanding is that Camden neutralises both chlorine and chloramine - so you should be fine just adding a bit to the filtered water before use. Personally I prefer not to use 100% RO anyway, so I always add some Camden because of the tap water I’m adding.
Yeah I always use camden tabs when I use tap water as well. We have really good water except for the chloramines and a nasty algae smell in the summer so I was hoping to keep the water profile but do away with the bad parts. It is expensive you can get an ro system with a carbon filter for $60 but I was thinking I could just add it inline to this to remove the chloramines if this works otherwise I will send it back. The only reason I am worried is the warning on that RO system that said it won't remove chloramines. I would imagine it probably does about 50%.

You’d be putting back what you’d just taken out. 😂
I didn't mean to use all of the waste water, just some of it. Depending on the desired water profile I might use ro and tap water 50:50.

I guess though in answer to my original question that you may as well not have bothered to filter that portion of it and use more straight tap water. I think I see it more clearly this morning 😂

I didn't mean to use all of the waste water, just some of it. Depending on the desired water profile I might use ro and tap water 50:50.

I guess though in answer to my original question that you may as well not have bothered to filter that portion of it and use more straight tap water. I think I see it more clearly this morning 😂
I’m with you on that I always try to use a mix of RO and tap water but my water in Lincolnshire is sooooo hard so sometimes I have to use 100% RO but always adjust using the water profile calculator in Brewfather

I have an answer from Sam Stainton at Vyair regarding chloramine that will be of interest…

As standard, none of our 4 stage 50gpd RO systems will remove chloramine.”

He went on to say they make an upgraded carbon filter that does remove chloramine but it isn’t compatible with the unit we have.

I have an answer from Sam Stainton at Vyair regarding chloramine that will be of interest…

As standard, none of our 4 stage 50gpd RO systems will remove chloramine.”

He went on to say they make an upgraded carbon filter that does remove chloramine but it isn’t compatible with the unit we have.
Good to know I am fortunate that my supply from Boston (Anglian water ) does not contain Chloramine at all. It’s worth checking with your supplier to see if they use it .

Latest posts

Back