The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an answer from Sam Stainton at Vyair regarding chloramine that will be of interest…

As standard, none of our 4 stage 50gpd RO systems will remove chloramine.”

He went on to say they make an upgraded carbon filter that does remove chloramine but it isn’t compatible with the unit we have.
Thanks for passing that along, seems like the warning on the ro system was correct. I'll let you know how the filter works once it arrives. I wonder if you could do a pre filter step if needed for an ro system.

Thanks for passing that along, seems like the warning on the ro system was correct. I'll let you know how the filter works once it arrives. I wonder if you could do a pre filter step if needed for an ro system.
Now I have a pump it might be possible. I’ll have to see what input pressure the pump needs in order to function.

Apologies if I’m missing something, but why wouldn’t you just use a bit of Camden to remove the chloramine after you have filtered…?
I am trying to overcomplicate things. However I always wonder if I am using too much, metabisulfite, I usually just pinch off a 1/4th of a tab and use that. The main reason I care is I have a nasty algae smell in my water that bothers me and activated carbon should be able to kill two birds at once.

For reading
https://www.morebeer.com/category/water-filters.html#Removing Chloramines
If you are on anglian water you can search on your post code here and then go to the full report link on the right and it will say something like this
"Chlorine:
Disinfection is important to ensure there are no harmful organisms in the water. We use chlorine to disinfect drinking water supplies. No ammonia is added in this process which means your water supply is not chloraminated.""

http://waterquality.anglianwater.com/map.aspx?pcode=IP309RR

I’ve found the Vyair ones are cheapest from their eBay shop, free next day shipping to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352958570390
Plus one on the vyair. Spoke to their technical department and we’re very helpful, they are based in Lincolnshire like me so know all about really hard, borderline unfit for human consumption, anglin water, water!

I have a 4 stage, but I believe the polishing bead stage doesn’t really add much for brewing purposes (I am happy to be corrected!)

Mine has a back flush, just run that for 10 minutes every time you are collecting for a brew. (Ditch all the water while back flushing of course.)

Double check your mains pressure. If poor a pumped ro filter might be the way to go

It's well worth while (and very straightforward) to upgrade the membrane to get a higher flow rate: Doubled my RO flow rate

You do need to make a corresponding change to the flow restrictor as described in that post, but that's also very easy.

The 'GPD' rating of the membrane stands for Gallons Per Day: not really an SI unit but descriptive enough.

The flow restrictor is the little cylinder that controls the ratio of bypass water to filtered water - you need to make that at least 4:1 otherwise your membrane won't last long...

1678351526821.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back