The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brucey224

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am in an area of very hard water (>250ppm) and was looking at a 3-stage RO filter to dilute my water for pilsners. Recently, I've been boiling to soften which is going to be crazy expensive. I'm wondering which one to go for. I was looking at the following:

Option 1 (£55)
Option 2 (£48)
Option 3 (£75)

What should I be looking for in terms of quality? Does it matter that some of these are designed for aquariums? If they're removing dissolved solids can't imagine there would be anything wrong with using them for brewing.

Try this guy, I've just bought an identical unit, except 75 gpd for £42 and some pennies, including postage, got it next day.
I've had several over the years (used to keep marines) and this is as good as any, apart from the 5 stage 150 gpd with a pressure pump that I got new for £20, but that's another story.
Aubrey Falls Ltd
John Riley
127A Main Road
Duston
Northampton,
Northamptonshire
NN5 6RA
Phone:01604947839
Email:[email protected]

He's on ebay as well under directwaterfilters.

By the way, of the three you've listed the cheaper one is the best option, for all intense and purpose they are identical, you can swop the parts from one to another and you'll end up with the same unit.
Except the cheaper one has a backflush valve which will greatly prolong the life of the filters.
They are however, all too expensive.

Look for one with a 'Dow-filmtech' membrane in the RO section, sales speak "our filters are designed to give 10ppm" no they are just selling cheap Chinese membranes! the Dow membranes will give you 1ppm.....

Yep, the cheapest of the three is what I have, it's served me well for years and over 30 20l brews. I check occasionally with a Salifert kit and it's still performing very well. I use wholly RO and add the minerals back I want.
Last week it took 9hrs to filter 36l so you may need to run it the day before or overnight before brewday.
The extra you don't use is great making up StarSan, for the steam iron and watering the houseplants.

Mine came with a few connection options. I’m just getting my water ready for brew day now funny enough. Here’s mine just hooked up to the outdoor tap

52C11DD0-15FD-4CF9-A938-890504BF6C0E.jpeg
F6ECB5E2-9599-410C-8E5F-E5A42441A080.jpeg

I’ve not had mine that long yet but I have a feeling changing them every 6 months might be overkill. I bought a cheap TDS meter and have been testing my RO water with it every time. It is still reading zero so I’ll probably be led by that.

Tight. How oftern are you changing the filters? Every 6 months
I'm expecting 6 years minimum, just ticked over 4 years and TDS has just gone to 2, clean the membrane per the instructions (they are different depending on the membrane) + our scheme water is $hite! - Cheers...

Yep, the cheapest of the three is what I have, it's served me well for years and over 30 20l brews. I check occasionally with a Salifert kit and it's still performing very well. I use wholly RO and add the minerals back I want.
Last week it took 9hrs to filter 36l so you may need to run it the day before or overnight before brewday.
The extra you don't use is great making up StarSan, for the steam iron and watering the houseplants.

Do you have it permanently plumbed in or can it be removed, stored until your next brew day eve.

I've looked at RO filters for quite some time now and decided against them. Considering the initial cost, replacement membranes, cleaning and waste water, not to mention the time it takes to prepare the water. 9hrs to do 36L of water has been mentioned.
I now use Spotless water. Costs 4p/L, i can take as much as i want and only pay for what i take. They state it's good for window cleaners and aquariums but will not say it's good for drinking water because of the way it's stored. I'm in the opinion that the boil will take care of any bacteria and so far have had no problems with my brews. If it's good enough for fish, it's good enough for me!

Back