RO success FYI

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
Since my local tesco has stopped selling Ashbeck I made my 1st brew with RO water purchased from a local aquatics centre. I used brewersfriend basic salt calculator to treat mash and sparge water. I have to say on my first pour tonite and it could be the best beer i've made. Quite suprised because Ashbek is quite low in minerals but I can certainly taste the difference. Thumbs up to RO water !

Yes RO is fine and if you don't want to buy it, it's easy to create your own with a basic 3-stage aquarium filter like the one below (they produce about 6L per hour).
Personally I've always felt happier making it fresh instead of buying water that's been sitting in a plastic bottle on a supermarket shelf for an indeterminate time.
However despite what you might read on the US forums, it's unnecessary and inadvisable to use 100% RO as it lacks trace elements needed for yeast health. Better to use 25-50% tap water and add half a Camden to remove chlorine.

Screenshot 2021-08-12 at 17.53.30.png

Latest posts

Back