roasted barley

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazzer22

Reaction score
i am following a stout recipe and it has roasted barley in , it says to add the roasted barley at the end of mash doesn't say how long to leave it in at the end so i am not sure on that , i was thinking of putting the roast barely in for the last 20 mins of the mash , just wondering what people think on this ?

Roasted barley or malt tends to drop the pH. Also less time in contact with water, leads to less astringency.

I do the Greg Hughes Dry Stout, which features ~ 500g of RB in a 5kg grain bill, a couple of times a year, and have always chucked everything in at the start of the mash. No issues and a very good beer at the end.

Only times I have soaked dark grains separately to the main mash have been doing a 2 Brew "Parti-gyle" beer with a strong first runnings beer at lower volume and a second mash, plus the liquid from the soaked dark grains. This, I think, was a bit smoother, but either approach gave me what I wanted to get - a very drinkable beer that is good to drink chilled, or at garage temps. Can't say that about every beer!

i am following a stout recipe and it has roasted barley in , it says to add the roasted barley at the end of mash doesn't say how long to leave it in at the end so i am not sure on that , i was thinking of putting the roast barely in for the last 20 mins of the mash , just wondering what people think on this ?
Putting any none fermentables at mash out is the way to go, makes water additions a lot simpler too.

Back