Robobrew or...?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgersack

Reaction score
Morning all,

I'm looking at taking my next steps on the magical journey to becoming a Master Brewer.

During lockdown I've brewed 5 or so extract kits with general success and now corny kegged/force carbonated my latest pilesner. Nothing has exploded yet.

I'm looking to move forward to all grain brewing and experimenting with recipes. From a fair amount of googling and head scratching I'm leaning towards a Robobrew. Not entirely sure why other than popularity and maybe good marketing.

My budget is approx £500 (£300 if the other half asks). Any other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

I've recently purchased a BrewMonk. very similar to a robobrew except you have a sight glass with a volume level and the element power is pragmatically set rather than 2 switches, the Malt Miller do a 3 year warranty on the product too. I couldnt justifiy the cost of a grainfather with the amount of brews I do over a year (basically brew, consume, brew, repeat) so probably only brew 6-8 over a year. Having researched alot and watching other peoples brewdays on the units. I found my first brewday really quite straight forward and much better experience personally than using a modified cooler for a mash tun and induction kettle.

I'm another who bought a BrewMonk, just brewed my second brew with it last week, but very impressed with it so far.
Was also impressed with price and 3 year warranty, plus I brew in 15 litre batches and found it works well with smaller batches.
I prevaricated for far too long about getting a one pot 'system' been AG brewing for years, wish I'd got one sooner!

@Baz Chaz @BrannBrew Have you both got the 30l Brewmonk? I've read this size can be a bit limiting for higher gravity brews. Is something you've experienced? I see on Maltmiller the 30l is out of stock but they do have the 45l... I also can't justify the Grainfather and not sold that the wifi controller is worth the extra £££!

When you say limiting the general homebrewer would not brew a high gravity beer to a full volume as per a standard beer say 19 to 23ltr because of its strength most tend to brew 10 to 15 ltr max so it should not be restrictive on a smaller high gravity brew for the majority of brewers unless you specifically want to brew high gravity brews to the same volumes then the grain bill can be a problem due to its size

When you say limiting the general homebrewer would not brew a high gravity beer to a full volume as per a standard beer say 19 to 23ltr because of its strength most tend to brew 10 to 15 ltr max so it should not be restrictive on a smaller high gravity brew for the majority of brewers unless you specifically want to brew high gravity brews to the same volumes then the grain bill can be a problem due to its size
Thanks, this is a good point. I'm used to brewing 23ltr batches from extract kits, so not considered going smaller. It's going to be a very long journey!

I have the 30 litre version, I'd already started brewing smaller batches last year, before deciding which system to buy.
I find the brewing process easier with smaller batches, (less grain to throw around, especially when wet, bottling 15 litre is so much quicker and easier) I also like ringing the changes and experimenting with various hops and yeast, so brew more often.
Each to their own of course, you need to go with what suits you best.

I have the 30 litre version, I'd already started brewing smaller batches last year, before deciding which system to buy.
I find the brewing process easier with smaller batches, (less grain to throw around, especially when wet, bottling 15 litre is so much quicker and easier) I also like ringing the changes and experimenting with various hops and yeast, so brew more often.
Each to their own of course, you need to go with what suits you best.

I think I might adopt this approach once I'm set up. I suspect I'll mess a few up so maybe better to do on a smaller scale :)

Brewkeg tap should be taking orders for the brewzilla next week.

I jumped on the all grain brewing after a couple of extract kits and 4 or 5 part grain kits.The all in one brewers are pretty good tbh, i am limited for space so the brewzilla was a good choice for me.The bundle bkt offer is worth getting.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on their site. Looks like April for a Brew Monk and I'm an impatient man.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using the Ace which is the mark 1 version of the Brewmonk, Angel Brew, Klarstein etc and have done over 100 brews with it. The version you are looking at is a more upto date version with the improved controller. I would not hesitate to buy another if that helps and the reliability is well proven on my Ace

Thanks for the advice! Brewmonk's are in stock again at Maltmiller and I've put my order in. Let the fun begin :onechug:

I’ve just done my first two brews with my Brewmonk. I made some mistakes with both brews but I was really impressed on a number of fronts. Firstly as a woman I could easily manage lifting and draining the grain for a 23 litre brew without any help. Secondly my beers are noticeably better quality and much clearer than my BIAB and my efficiency is massively improved. Mine was also bought from the Maltmiller without VAT as I am in Guernsey. So happy days. Enjoy!!

Latest posts

Back