Robobrew V Hopcat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyne_brewer

Regular.
Reaction score
Having just trialled my boiling pot and paraffin stove idea it’s effective but not very practical. So I’m looking at an all in one system. Hopcat offers a great setup with 45l capacity an lots of extras. But it relies on imports and feedback on customer service isn’t great. Robobrew / Brewzilla is available over here and seems a decent offering. £400 plus p&p is my max intended outlay. What would you go for & why?

Paul

Hi Paul

I ended up preordering the Robobrew 35l, as Angel Homebrew have had loads of good reviews, stating they communicate well and there is a mobile number too.
Not so good for hopcat which is online only and poor communication observed.

Have a look for reviews online and see what you think 👍

Hi Paul

I ended up preordering the Robobrew 35l, as Angel Homebrew have had loads of good reviews, stating they communicate well and there is a mobile number too.
Not so good for hopcat which is online only and poor communication observed.

Have a look for reviews online and see what you think 👍
Just a heads up, BrewKegTap have a bundle for £360 with loads of extras, including a jacket.

Hi Paul,

I now have a hopcat which was £400 for the 45l. It is absolutely brilliant (3 brew in all lovely and straightforward) so can't knock the product. That said, it was a 2 month wait which wasn't I was sold on. I actually ordered this initially as everywhere else was out of stock.
My advice to you would be on the kettle size and how big a batch you like to brew. Hopcat can do up to 37l finished product which if you brew a lot or intend too then makes more sense. Part of me wishes I went for the 60l.
I think either way you'll have a good product so its whether the good service and speedier delivery beats brew size

HELP!! I'm still dithering about what to buy. Comms with both Angel & Hopcat have been fine. The big question - quite literally - is this. I will probably stick to 23l brews for now to fill a keg or my bottles. This would run the Hopcat 45l at half capacity - I can't imagine there would be a problem with smaller brews and should lead to quicker heating to strike, boils etc. Would the resulting shallower grain bed affect mash efficiency? Would the 35l Robobrew be better suited to smaller brew lengths? I'm buying this for my upcoming 60th birthday pressie to myself & want a long term solution, doing maybe monthly brews.

The factors I'm juggling -
  1. 35l Robobrew is available from stock but the base setup only. Additional cost to purchase a jacket & hop spider comes to more than £40 more expensive than the bundle and only a few quid less than the Hopcat bundle with delivery factored in. The Robo seems to have a very good malt tube & false bottom setup.
  2. Bundle is available for preorder. Delivery dates are loose and may well be into September, cheapest option. No ship yet notified as carrier.
  3. Hopcat is due in halfway through August. It's an attractive well-specced package but is it just too big for 23l batches?
In the meantime I have ordered an AG Landlord premium kit from The Malt Miller just to get back in the swing of AG with my stovetop boiling pot, I just need to find my grain bag and hop bags now...

I have a 35l robobrew and I love it, the false bottom is very good.

I also brew to a keg length but wouldn't mind being able to do double batches. To be honest I still have my old 70l 3 vessel set up but really can't be arsed with the faff now I'm an all in one convert!

I can see myself upgrading to the bigger robobrew in future, so if you have regular recipes you like to keep on tap then bigger may be better ?

HELP!! I'm still dithering about what to buy. Comms with both Angel & Hopcat have been fine. The big question - quite literally - is this. I will probably stick to 23l brews for now to fill a keg or my bottles. This would run the Hopcat 45l at half capacity - I can't imagine there would be a problem with smaller brews and should lead to quicker heating to strike, boils etc. Would the resulting shallower grain bed affect mash efficiency? Would the 35l Robobrew be better suited to smaller brew lengths? I'm buying this for my upcoming 60th birthday pressie to myself & want a long term solution, doing maybe monthly brews.

The factors I'm juggling -
  1. 35l Robobrew is available from stock but the base setup only. Additional cost to purchase a jacket & hop spider comes to more than £40 more expensive than the bundle and only a few quid less than the Hopcat bundle with delivery factored in. The Robo seems to have a very good malt tube & false bottom setup.
  2. Bundle is available for preorder. Delivery dates are loose and may well be into September, cheapest option. No ship yet notified as carrier.
  3. Hopcat is due in halfway through August. It's an attractive well-specced package but is it just too big for 23l batches?
In the meantime I have ordered an AG Landlord premium kit from The Malt Miller just to get back in the swing of AG with my stovetop boiling pot, I just need to find my grain bag and hop bags now...
I have done 23 litre brews in my 60 litre Hopcat (Brau Wolf) here, which ever you get try doing full volume mash and cut out the sparge. Far too many home brewers worry about efficiency, and treat it like a pissing contest, instead of going into the finer detail of producing a great beer. If I get 63% efficiency and get a great beer I'm happy don't even worry about the couple of dollars more grain to hit my target.

You won't go far wrong with that pal.

Finger's crossed they keep to the

Finger's crossed they keep to the
1596232561458.gif

The what?

Well, the kit is currently on a ship heading for Suez so touch wood the container is still on it when it docks!

In the meantime, I am going to BIAB my Landlord clone kit just for the experience. It's 20 years or more since I did an AG so need to regain my wings before the Hopcat arrives.I think the big pot I bough will let me do a full volume mash & boil using my paraffin stoves.

Back