Robust porter help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbie

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a robust porter on the go in the next couple of weeks.
I've put this together with the grains I have available:

Pale malt 5.5 kg
Caramunich 0.75
Biscuit 0.4
Chocolate 0.4
Roasted barley 0.4

Mash at 68C

Northern brewer 40g (60 mins)

S-04 yeast

Does this sound reasonable? :hmm:

Looks good. I would maybe add a little black malt and also consider adding flavour hops (also possible aroma hops).

Sounds American :hmm: :lol:

Looking through the Durden Park book shows several Porters and 'stout' porters. This one is for a London Porter brewed at Whitbreads in 1850

OG 1.060

5170g Pale Malt
1000g Brown Malt
360g Black Malt (Or Roast if you don't have black)

145g Fuggles for a 90 minute boil

These later porters broke with the traditional all Brown Malt grist (You can't make 'em that way nowadays as brown malt is non diastatic)

Funnily enough I was originally going to try and go along the lines of Anchor porter :thumb:

I can't get cara-pils, crystal or brown malt which I would have liked to use. This will also be a bit of a user-upper to be honest.
Hops wise I've got some Nelson Sauvin, Saaz, Styrian Goldings and Chinook left over as well as the Northern Brewer... I'm aiming to keep the IBUs to about 25-30.

That Durden park book sounds interesting, is there any other good sources for old british recipes?

If you don't mind breaking style a little bit; I quite like a generous amount of Saaz in the last 10 mins of a porter. Seems to go really well and 'lift' it a bit. :thumb:

I did this in an Imperial Porter with good results.

Latest posts

Back