Rookie Mistake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LED_ZEP

Reaction score
I like to pride my self on double checking every step and measurement, read every label on the additives twice before adding that kind of thing but very nearly messed up a kit I was starting the other night through the simplest of omissions.
I tipped my grape juice in to the FV, then checked and added the bentonite sachet, poured in three litres of warm water and mixed thoroughly. I then topped up to 23l and waited till the mix was at 20c before taking the S.G. and adding yeast.
When I checked the S.G. I got a reading of 1.045 so I checked again but still the same. I'll try another hydrometer, still 1.045. I was now feeling a little miffed that the kit (it wasn't cheap) clearly didn't have the correct level of sugars and was about to add some dextrose to get the level up when I stopped. I realised that after topping up I hadn't stirred the mixture again. Such a simple step to miss out, after mixing again the S.G. was 1.085. :doh:

Anyone else made any really basic mistakes despite years of experience brewing?

Left about an inch of acidified bleach no-rinse in a once demijohn on a split batch test. On tasting it was like burnt plastic. It aged out enough to be bearable after 6 months.

Bottled up a load then realised the priming solution was still on the cooker.

Mixed up the priming sugar per litre with pints and ended up with 30psi on the keg before I realised. Even then I let it ride because it was a steel keg. I didn't have to put gas in once to dispense the whole 50 litres.

This one too many times: Storing my picnic taps open, getting excited going to the brew freezer knowing it's time to try that first lovely pint and then getting the panic as you hear the whoosh and see the beer moving through the pipe much, much faster than it should be before you're blasted in the face or up the walls.

Throwing my stir bar down the plughole, into the beer or even into the back garden when I threw away a starter that got flies in it.

I once topped up two DJ's of wine with Milton steriliser (approx half a litre in each) it tasted OK so we drank it.

Back