Rose hip wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePhysicist

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm currently in the process of making some rose hip wine for the first time, the recipe is standard - something along the lines of:

2.5kg of rose hips (large hips from the Rosa Rugosa plant)
7 ltr of water
juice from a few lemons
yeast and nutrient
pectic enzyme
some raisins
2.3kg sugar

At the minute the pectic enzyme is working on the hips in the water, I'm about to add the sugar, yeast and remaining ingredients. However, my issue is it doesn't smell very nice... Its very Earthy and not fruity as I would maybe have expected... Is this a fairly solid indication that the wine wont be good either? I'll be aging it for a couple of years, is it simply the case that it requires this time to become a decent wine?

Additional information: the hips were reasonably ripe with a slight squash. I tasted the flesh of a few and there was some sweetness to them. I also mashed them, leaving the seeds in which I read was fine to do.

Looking forward to some replies!

All the best,

Luke.

Hi, I made two batches of rosehip last year, albeit from hedgerow hips. One lot was mashed by hand, the other lot whizzed in a food processor. 14 days in the fermenting bin before going into the DJ.

Both came out really well. So good that I am currently on batch no. 1 of this year's. I only hope I can save a bottle or two from last year's to meet your 2 year schedule :laugh8:

Neither the aroma or the flavour were 'fruity' initially, but a friend commented on the finished product 'it's as good as shop wine' (...yes, I know...)

Good luck with it, let us know how it turns out.

Fantastic! Thanks for the reply. The hedgerow hips aren't quite ready yet, so I plan to also do a batch with them too.

How long did you bulk age for it in the Dj?

After 2 weeks in the fermenting bin, strained (through fine cloth, to exclude the little hairs) into DJ for secondary fermentation. It was in the DJ about 6 months before bottling. I think I racked it about 3 times, as it did keep dropping sediment.

I'm tempted to try a batch of this. We know some people who have a rose hedge that produces huge numbers of massive hips. Won't be long till they are ready.......

Yeah im thinking of giving it a whiz too. Not too many rosehips around where I live though 🙄

I'm lucky as there are enough rose hips where I live for me to be able to make as much wine as I have room for. I'm currently drinking last year's output and it does taste fruity. I only made 2 gallons this year as I'm trying to empty my shed.

Yeah im thinking of giving it a whiz too. Not too many rosehips around where I live though 🙄
Well it seems I go around with my eyes shut 😂 found an ample supply of hips within a short walk from home. Oh and elder berry 👍

Well it seems I go around with my eyes shut 😂 found an ample supply of hips within a short walk from home. Oh and elder berry 👍
Haha I could only wish, I live in Stoke on trent and there isn't elderberry in sight, I have been looking for a year now for various things apart from wine and no luck, they cost a fortune dried online, like 30 quid a kilo

Back