Rose hip wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Cha
I don't have my own special recipe for rose-hip wine,Instead i use them as another ingredient.
However going from one of Berrys books you want about 3lb or 1.4kg shelled de-seeded rose-hips per gallon
A hot water extraction is recommended.

The the seeds can be crushed and left in.(I do not use the seeds)

I only use rose-hips for adding colour to white wine kits,In order to make a "rose" wine (no pun intended).
But I do understand they make a good wine in their own right.

Last edited:
Hi Cha
I don't have my own special recipe for rose-hip wine,Instead i use them as another intermediate.
However going from one of Berrys books you want about 3lb or 1.4kg shelled de-seeded rose-hips per gallon
A hot water extraction is recommended.

The the seeds can be crushed and left in.(I do not use the seeds)

I only use rose-hips for adding colour to white wine kits,In order to make a "rose" wine (no pun intended).
But I do understand they make a good wine in their own right.
Thank you

Hi Cha, I've got a bag full of prepped rosehips in the freezer, waiting for my bucket to free up - I'm going to follow this recipe as it sounds fairly sensible, although I'll probably do a full hot water extraction as johncrobinson suggests.

Hi
We've just done this one, courtesy of Steemit.com. We did freeze the rosehips then defrosted and added to bucket with boiling water to soften and squash by hand so as not to cut the seeds.

2.5lb to 3lb Rose Hips
3 lb Sugar
3 Lemons (juice and zest)
1 tsp Pectic enzyme
1 Crushed campden tablet
1 Sachet of white wine yeast
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
4.5 Litres of purified water

Finger's crossed now.
Sunsetscy

Just racked my wild apple wine into a demijohn to free up my bucket, so now it's on to the rosehip!

Excited about this one, my real-life home brew mate gave us a rosehip sherry he'd made and it was spectacular.

If I can get anything close to that, I'll be delighted.

Hi
We've just done this one, courtesy of Steemit.com. We did freeze the rosehips then defrosted and added to bucket with boiling water to soften and squash by hand so as not to cut the seeds.

2.5lb to 3lb Rose Hips
3 lb Sugar
3 Lemons (juice and zest)
1 tsp Pectic enzyme
1 Crushed campden tablet
1 Sachet of white wine yeast
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
4.5 Litres of purified water

Finger's crossed now.
Sunsetscy
Thanks you very much

Hi Kelper,
Sherry is oxidised wine,Can be made from most white wines by leaving a demijohn open to the air (With a cotton wool plug.) for several months to a year or even more.
Its better if the alc is 15% plus.(To prevent spoilage.)
A sherry yeast helps quite a lot but is not absolutely essential

So no it wont taste the same as your pal`s sherry duffstiks,It will taste like a good white wine.
Get your mate to show you how he did his;)

I have made sherry many times,Very nice it is too.BUT if you over-indulge the hangovers are "Banging"

Last edited:
Me!

Got the yeast added to the batch last night. Slightly concerned about the temperature in the flat, I've had a couple of recent wines that look to have stopped fermenting - being in Glasgow it's not exactly warm outside at the moment. Will need to keep an eye on it as I've got a big backlog of fruit to get through over the coming weeks and am a bit limited in terms of what I can do to keep things warm...!

Well from over 50yrs experience in winemaking i can safely say a heat pad or a warm fermentation cupboard is well worth the money.
I too am in Scotland,About 100miles further north to be precise.
If i had one secret to pass on and one secret only i would say keep the temperature warm and STABLE.

Thank you Kelper for your like..
I am not the font of all knowledge.And believe me i understand that and all that entails

We all crawl on the floor for crumbs of wisdom that drop from your mouth.......................:D

Very true.
But as for people becoming millionaires sad to say i am not one

winemaking is a bit of an adventure which after all rocks in its own right

Back