Rose hip?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchy

Reaction score
I found those not so far from home:

I believe it is rose hip, isn't it?

I'm pretty there is a way to brew something with it right?
I was thinking of a ciderish / sparkling drink.

From what I read I need to put them in the freezer first.

Freezing has remarkably little effect on rosehips. They come out just as bullet-like as they went in.

Rosehip cider sounds delicious, I may try it. Thanks for the idea!

Traditional wisdom says to wait until after the first frost before picking rose hips, but all of the ones round here will definitely be mush and going off before that happens.

I've heard from a number of people that freezing them is as good as waiting for the frost but, like Tim says, I half expect they'll come out much the same as they went in. I might try a freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw with them and see how that goes.

Freezing as a replacement for frost is something to do with a starch->sugar conversion. Which is why parsnip wine happens so late in the year.
The main problem with rosehips (I read in some other recent thread) is that loads of them will be nasty inside, due to rot or insects.
Never tried them myself but we do have some wild round here so someday it'll happen, I'm sure

Sorry to highjack a bit, but I've been given homemade rosehip syrup and I'm not sure what to do with it (we'll never get through it). Do you think I could add it to an apple wine?

Redcar said:
Sorry to highjack a bit, but I've been given homemade rosehip syrup and I'm not sure what to do with it (we'll never get through it). Do you think I could add it to an apple wine?

should make a fine addition to any wine

I would ask for the ingredient used, but I guess rose hips and sugar

the sugar will be fermentable so you will need to adjust your recipe accordingly

hypnoticmonkey said:
Traditional wisdom says to wait until after the first frost before picking rose hips, but all of the ones round here will definitely be mush and going off before that happens.

I've heard from a number of people that freezing them is as good as waiting for the frost but, like Tim says, I half expect they'll come out much the same as they went in. I might try a freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw with them and see how that goes.

You really don't need them to be mush. If you're making wine, simply pour boiling water over them. It will soften the fruit and release their flavour.

Dog-rose hips last longer than any other hedgerow fruit. Last winter I was still picking them in early January.

oldbloke said:
The main problem with rosehips (I read in some other recent thread) is that loads of them will be nasty inside, due to rot or insects.

I've been picking them from wherever I can get them and found this to be a problem to varying degrees depending on the source.

My own rose bush out the front of the house is quite bad for this, the large bush up the road that had the massive type of hips was awful.

However, there's one I pass every day that I've been picking from, collected c. 1.5kg of hips from it and had about 7-10 hips that have had rot/maggots in.

I find if you take the time to sit down with a sharp knife and cut the tips off the hips you can easily tell if it's going to be an infested one. I'm trying a few gallons of it this year for the first time on the reccomendation of a few forum members. I actually ate the skin of a hip today for the first time and was surprised at how sweet it was... kind of orange/lemon flavours coming through.

I've got a Rosehip on the go, fermented on the pulp in a fermentation bin for a week then strained and squeezed in to a PET DJ. Not had much activity from it though, thinking about racking it and adding some more nutrient in case it's stuck.

My recipe was 1kg rosehips, 300g raisins, 800g sugar, 1tsp nutrient, 1tsp citric, 1tsp pectolase 1 cup of cold strong black tea and I used wilkos white wine yeast. I didn't measure the SG at the start cos I'm new to all this didn't realise I should, it's been in the DJ about 3 weeks and the SG measured today was 1.000 is that good or bad?

An SG of 1.000 is fine, so I'd leave it. The SG may drop a little over the next few months. It'll give you a medium-sweet wine, and judging by the ingredients you should be at around 12% ABV, although without an OG that's just a guesstimate.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
An SG of 1.000 is fine, so I'd leave it. The SG may drop a little over the next few months. It'll give you a medium-sweet wine, and judging by the ingredients you should be at around 12% ABV, although without an OG that's just a guesstimate.

Thanks Tim, medium sweet sounds good to me. It's currently on top of my tumble drier in the kitchen standing in the tray of a heated propagator and wearing a little jacket of garden fleece (my kitchen can get quite cold on a night) so i'll leave it there for another month and then check the SG again.

Tim_Crowhurst said:

Thanks Tim, medium sweet sounds good to me. It's currently on top of my tumble drier in the kitchen standing in the tray of a heated propagator and wearing a little jacket of garden fleece (my kitchen can get quite cold on a night) so i'll leave it there for another month and then check the SG again.

Ive cooked with hips for many years, i make delrosa syrup, jelly, jam and chutney. We put the hips in the freezer soley to imitate natures frost wich does indeed improve the flavour but it wont soften the skins. There are 2 main types of hips and each one is different. If you want a softish plumb hip that produces good juice, flavour and colour then use the big round fat hips from rosa rugosa, it also has the lovely delrosa perfum and alot of big seeds though its easy to remove them and chop up. The other much smaller dog rose, rosa canna produces small hard dry hips wich are to me inferior in all counts and have to be boiled to death to soften but they have limited colour and flavour. I always use the hips with the seeds as they contain pectin though you have to double strain to remove afterwards.

This is good news!

I've just discovered a 30m stretch of the Rosa Rugosa on a dog walking trail I've not used before. I shall definitely be using it again now I know they can be used.

Yep, a rosehip is a rosehip as long as its not a hairy or black coloured hip for obvious reasons! the rosa rugosa is the sweetest and most yeailding with a lovely perfume plus they are easier to clean and prepare!

Latest posts

Back