rousing yeast really works

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenito

Regular.
Reaction score
My fermentation slowed somewhat after 4 days, so I decided to give the FV a quick swish around and now it's bubbling like it did at the start.

Can only recommend to give your FV a slosh around if you feel your fermentation has slowed but not finished.

Thanks to this forum for the idea

Yup, rousing defiantely works. Yeast cant ferment the wort if it's chillaxing on the bottom of the FV. It has to be in suspension to work properly. My house yeast is the Gales strain which can be a bit of lazy bugger (bit like me really) and benefits from a rouse or two during fermentation as it's so flocculant and drops out of suspension easily

Yup, rousing defiantely works. Yeast cant ferment the wort if it's chillaxing on the bottom of the FV. It has to be in suspension to work properly.

I expected it to work for that reason, just wasn't expecting it to work so well. I'm gonna do the shake and ferm from now on. Except maybe with low flocculant yeasties

Have never tried this on mine but will bear it in mind if it ever slows, its hard to tell with mine sometimes as I ferment around the 14/15 degree mark with US-05 so its a slow process anyway

Yeah sometimes gently tipping/ rocking or gyrating the fermenter can get the bubbles going again
I might stir myn later. Got the temp up gradually yesterday so should help with the dormant yeast. Rather stir now and allow another two weeks to clean up and settle out.

I'm always nervous about opening the FV too much during fermenting, but have tried giving it a good slap from underneath a few times, that seems to re-awaken things, might try a stir sometime, when I get another stall.

Back