RU well connected? Tri-clamped?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druncan

Senior Moments
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Brewbuilder BIAB has 1.5 Tri-Clamp fittings and I am happy, but often need a third (or fourth) hand,,, All the bits are replaceable and sanitisable.

But, what are the alternatives? WHY? anything better? anything to avoid. Do the industry standard big brewery RJT screw fittings not wear out?

Last edited:
I use hook n claw fittings aka gekka but there brass so crossive stuff caustic cant be used.

Then theres cam and groove (about ten quid a set)
Finally quick disconnects similiar price to cam n groove.

I seem to remember one of the brew hardware suppliers doing a triclamp to c n g fitting

Use both triclamp and RJT in the brewery. RJT are a bit obsolete due to being a potential blind spot when cleaning but got a second wind when sanitation processes (chemicals especially) got a bit better. RJT are arguable simpler, pull in on the threads and self support whatever they are attached to and require less manipulation which is important, especially in tight spots or hanging off a ladder, but have drawbacks. The o-rings wear out (minor detail) and they can require not an insignificant amount of manual strength (big ones especially) to do up and remove by hand. It is no fun when by the end of the week your arms are burning and your grip strength is failing. We've spanners, but they are never where you've left them! Triclamp can in theory be done up and removed by anybody irrespective of strength and are very easy to clean and inspect, but require pretty flush faces to seal with plenty of slack on heavy hoses and don't like being put under sideways pressure so they don't tend to support what they are connected to very reliably. Most gear comes with triclamps as standard now, but because RJT is on so much legacy gear having them retrofitted/adapted etc is another day in the office. Because I'm stuck with a mix I use a mix, but if I had a choice it'd be triclamp on everything. Triclamp also has the benefit of being mass produced and as such fittings might as well be free. Nearly every RJT gate etc must be made up for us bespoke. You've got to make friends with a good stainless welder/machinist. Brass, copper etc are all a waste of time and more trouble than they are worth. The chemicals we use eat them, we've not time to babysit them and the last thing you need is equipment failure messing up the work day and risking the beer.

I saw a photograph somewhere of the inside of one of the big Munich breweries and EVERY fitting was tri-clamp and big ones at that, must have been 4" at least.

I've got the brewbuilder fermenter with the 1.5" triclamp fittings. Personally I find them easy enough to fit with just two hands and the fermenter propped against something so it can't slide back when pressed against and the sanitation aspect just can't be beat.

You do need quite a few fittings to get started though. I have 3 silicone o-rings, 3 clamps, 1 butterfly valve, 1 barb for the blow off and 1 blanking plate for the butterfly valve. Oh and a sampling valve as well. I've noticed that the silicone ring sealing the butterfly valve absorbs beer into it so that one gets replaced after every brew.

Cheers guys! there is such a wealth of information here. I did suspect that RJT fittings were the more traditional sanitary liquid transfer systems. It's a shame most micro brewery manufacturers still supply them as standard. The best fitting I have is my TC thermowell. Makes monitoring a breeze and can be dismantled for cleaning. I have recently found that www.dixoneurope.co.uk also do spring loaded TC's that operate easier! I might try some of them next. Time to get some brews on!

Latest posts

Back