Ruddles County Clone Advice!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyBlue

Reaction score
I brewed my second AG last Sunday, a Ruddles County clone. OG was 1048 (target was 1046) and after a few days of vigorous fermentation everything seemed to stop. Today I’ve checked again and the gravity is 1012 (FG is meant to be 1010). I’ve given the brew a little stir to see if it rouses the yeast and plan on leaving it overnight.

My question are, should I barrel it now or leave for another few days or a week as all my other brews have been left for two weeks to ferment?? What are the risks associated with leaving it and is it normal for fermentation to be so quick (eg 6 days)

Kind regards

Andy

I would think that the yeast is still "clearing up" but you either have a small leak in your FV or you just aren't there when it goes "Glub".

Personally (*), I would leave it for the full two weeks and then check the SG. If it has stayed the same then you have lost nothing and if it has dropped to 1.010 or less then it's time to bottle it.

Enjoy.:gulp:

(*)
I actually wouldn't have touched it yet anyway! Ferments often seem to stop dead when you just aren't there to notice. In other situations, I haven't had so much as a single bubble out of the air-lock and the only sign that fermentation is taking place is the formation of a krausen on the top of the brew and a trub forming on the bottom, as seen through the side of the FV.

Thank you! Seems like I may need to learn patience and not to tinker!! On a plus note, the sample i tried tasted spot- on so I now have high hopes for a great brew!!

Cheers

Thank you! Seems like I may need to learn patience and not to tinker!! On a plus note, the sample i tried tasted spot- on so I now have high hopes for a great brew!!

Cheers

Magic!:thumb:Now imagine how you will feel if you discover that by diving in to get a sample so quickly you have introduced the yeast that has changed the brew to a years supply of vinegar! (Assuming that you own a Chip Shop!):wave:Patience is a virtue in most situations but in brewing it's more "The gift that keeps giving and giving!":gulp:

It was Nottingham yeast. It was dried and I sprinkled it on the top before sealing the FV. I’ve read a little about attenuation (from the Greg Hughes book) but how did you calculate it from the figures I posted? Is that good, bad or indifferent? Sorry for all the questions. I’m just keen to learn!!

I've used Nottingham a few times and usually get a fairly consistent 80-81% attenuation, but if u didn't rehydrate the yeast before adding it you might get slightly less than that. I'll usually cold crash after 8 days, then bottle after 10 days.

I'd go with "darrelm". It will do no harm to get it barrelled (just don't use that timescale with bottling).

But "malt muncher" has a point; "Nottingham" yeast is a renowned high attenuator - possibly a good alternative to recipes asking for US-05 ("Nottingham" is also "clean" but will clear a lot better). So keep an eye on it a don't be afraid to vent off any excess pressure (be very afraid of not venting off excess pressure and letting it build up!). If you don't have the means of monitoring and releasing excess pressure you may be better holding off the barrelling.

Don't be alarmed by fast ferments using "British" style ale yeasts and all-grain worts; I typically expect fermentation of my beers to be done in 2-3 days. A beer like you describe I'd be drinking within 10 days (draught, not bottled).

Latest posts

Back