Ruined Batch?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenbrewer

Reaction score
So today was bottling day. I already some of my bottles ready to go but was waiting to take delivery of the others. As i was tight for time i started bottling an hour or so before i was due to receive the other bottles. Anyway after i started bottling i received notification that i was now not going to receive the other bottles until tomorrow. I have bottled approximately 10% of my batch direct from the fermenter, the airlock was not removed at all. Has the unavoidable agitation of bottling a small amount of the batch ruined the whole batch due to oxygen etc or will it be okay until tomorrow?

Thanks in advance

Yeah, no issue, if you didn't remove the airlock then you must be priming in the bottle rather than batch priming?

Just a heads up, since you mentioned the airlock wasn't removed - opening the tap will cause negative pressure in the fermenter, and suck the liquid out of the airlock into the fermenter (if it doesn't, you probably dont have a seal round the lid). I use Starsan in the airlock and always forget to take the airlock out and have never had an issue caused by 30ml or so of Starsan in the beer, but you know... best practice, etc. and might save you bit of panic if you hear a sudden gurgling and see your airlock liquid shooting backwards into yur beer! In my experience, it's surprisingly difficult to completely ruin a batch. Welcome!

Back