Ruined or Not ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopperty

Reaction score
Coopers Stout Kit - got everything spotlessly clean and sterilised, had the tin of coopers stood in some boiling water to make sure it would come out of the can ok, added 2.5 litres boiling water into the FV, tipped the sugar in then started to pour the coopers mix in and a bit of the label on the can (inch square) loosened by standing in the hot water broke off the can and went into the FV and disappeared.

I guess it going into near boiling water would have sterilised it - but could I have ruined it ? weight by weight it would be tiny 1/10,000

Last edited:
If it goes wrong you'll know about it. And whatever the cause you can blame that bit of paper. Trying to find and fish out the bit of paper will considerably increase the likelihood of things going wrong.

We've all had far worse drop into the beer with no ill effect. Sometimes you never know what dropped in until the beer is finished.

I have heard tales of this before, but usually you find something in the sterilisation procedure that makes this go wrong. If it smells like gnats pi$$ then it's off. I'd say it's highly unlikely given what you said you had done :)

How do you reckon this is getting on ? (I'm very new to this home brew hence daft questions and wanting my hand held)

this is the brew where the can label fell in!

started off 1040
4 days - 1012
8 days - 1008

at the 4 day mark it left a very unpleasant bitter after taste that persisted for an hour or more (I siphon a bit out to take a reading)

at the 8 day mark it tasted OK, a little bit of a bitter after taste but quite drinkable, infact I drank the 50ml I used to take the reading.

I'm guessing this is going OK ?

just curious, not that I'm going to but what would happen if I started to drink it now ? could an ear come off or something ?

In another post regarding my last brew where I bottled at 1016 (fortnight later and none have exploded yet) it was suggested leaving in the FV for 3 weeks - wouls you think that advice would apply to this brew. It is sitting there at a steady 20°c

I would be surprised if the Coopers yeast will get you much lower than 1.008, but leaving the beer for another few days - out to 2 weeks or so - will get you a better and clearer beer at bottling. Most beer drinkers like some carbonation in beer and this takes a week or two. Then it improves for a further couple of weeks in the bottle, but impatience usually wins!

You're at 4.2%ABV. What does your kit say the ABV should be or the final gravity?
At least one more check with the hydrometer to make sure the number isn't going lower.
I do big beers (above 8%) for three weeks in the fermenter. I left a Kolsch for three weeks and it was great but likely not necessary. I do three weeks so I don't have to keep checking with the hydrometer; I like opening the fermenter as few times as possible.
You can drink all the unconditioned beer you like but there are consequences when it comes to the volume of finished beer (less).

Last edited:
It'll be allright. Two weeks suffice for these straighforward brews, unless something has been added later on (e.g. fruit, vanilla pods, peanutbutter powder). Bottle and prime the batch, wait another fortnight, etc.

Already considering partial mash?

Back