Running brew kettle from Inkbird ssr or other?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffy176

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.
I'm slowly transitioning from extract kits to BIAB. I have a 30L Burco. I have bypassed the high temperature cut out, but to allow a rolling boil, I have had to move the temperature probe on the bottom to the side of the vessel.
Ideally I'd like to control the temperature with an inkbird or similar but am aware they are only rated at 10amps so I would need a relay that the inkbird would trigger when calling for heat.

Any suggestions on how to do this please.
Thanks.

There's a temperature controller available, a WH 7016 or something like that (I'll double check the model number later), that's available with a 30A relay built in. Looks like a STC-1000 but is single output, but much higher capacity. I use this for kettle control without any issues. If you're comfortable with some basic wiring you can set one of those up quite simply, probably for less than the cost of the Inkbird and without about the same complexity of running an Inkbird through a relay.

That looks like the one.
You'd need an enclosure, some glands, and suitably rated cable for the power in and power out. I used Wago connector blocks to common the earth and for routing the L and N.

They're very simple to operate, press Set, adjust the target temperature, press Set and that's it.

Attachments

• temperature-controller-diagram-schematic-wilhi-wh7016C.jpg
    temperature-controller-diagram-schematic-wilhi-wh7016C.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
Can I ask where you locate the temperature probe, do you use a thermowell or just drop it in the wort?
Thanks.
Parts on order, found some suitable rated cable. Just need an enclosure.

I use a thermowell now, but I used to plop it in the wort. In use the thermowell is easier but it's another potential leak path, and another thing to buy.

On the enclosure go a bit bigger than you think. I got one that was JUST big enough to house the controller with a bit of room to spare, but fitting the orange retaining clips and then getting the cables routed is very tricky. I think mine is about 10cm x 8cm x 6cm or so.

Thank you, I might just go for plonking it in the wort. I'm planning on building a Grainfather clone with a solar pump to recirculate the wort, so I could zip tie the probe to the silicone hose.
I did wonder how well it would work if I placed it on the bottom where the Burcos is located, might have a play at that.
Yes found a box. Went a fair bit bigger but at least it will give me room to work and fit the pump to.
Thanks for all you help.

Just grabbed the box, it's actually 125 x 85 x 55mm.

Attachments

• 20220611_175451.jpg
    20220611_175451.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220611_175438.jpg
    20220611_175438.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220611_175623.jpg
    20220611_175623.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back