Running, you know... to keep the beer belly in check!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm more of a cyclist than a runner, and went from being overweight and unfit up riding over two hundred miles in a day with a few of my friends in the cycle club.

But I have done a bit of running. After spending a lot on proper running shoes (I have flat feet so knew I'd need some support) I did a couch to 5k, my cycle fitness definitely helped and I entered a 5k event and spurred on by running with other people in managed to run it in 21 and a half minutes - although I definitely felt the pace in the last kilometre or so!

I then didn't do much, other than when on holiday, but in 2018 on a total whim I entered a half marathon that was taking part in 81 days time, the date was significant as it would have been my daughter's seventh birthday and I desperately needed to do something that day that wasn't lying under a duvet all day. My training wasn't the best and I hadn't ran more than 7k in one stretch before the big day, but on the day itself I got to mile 9 before a pain in my hip meant I had to walk for a bit. I then realised that doing that funny shuffling thing hurt the same as walking, so I'd just as well keep doing it and finish sooner :laugh8: In the end I finished in two hours twelve minutes.

Everyone I knew who were runners told me once I'd done a half I'd be thinking about the next one, but truth be told I've got no plans to do another. I just don't get the same escape running as I do cycling. BUT it did give me a hearty respect for anyone that does a marathon, or a couple of my friends that do ultramarathons.

I also wish PE hating me knew that one day I'd run a half marathon, trust me if I traveled back in time and told school aged me that (especially during cross country season) I would never have believed me.

Not even distance though, anyone who pushes themselves to do something gets my respect. One of the issues with being fit is most people know you like that, but I too once was overweight and massively struggled with exercise. But as @Covrich said, change takes time but your body can and will adapt.

I do also feel for anyone who has physical issues that get in the way. I'm sure that's mega frustrating.

I'm more of a cyclist than a runner, and went from being overweight and unfit up riding over two hundred miles in a day with a few of my friends in the cycle club.

But I have done a bit of running. After spending a lot on proper running shoes (I have flat feet so knew I'd need some support) I did a couch to 5k, my cycle fitness definitely helped and I entered a 5k event and spurred on by running with other people in managed to run it in 21 and a half minutes - although I definitely felt the pace in the last kilometre or so!

I then didn't do much, other than when on holiday, but in 2018 on a total whim I entered a half marathon that was taking part in 81 days time, the date was significant as it would have been my daughter's seventh birthday and I desperately needed to do something that day that wasn't lying under a duvet all day. My training wasn't the best and I hadn't ran more than 7k in one stretch before the big day, but on the day itself I got to mile 9 before a pain in my hip meant I had to walk for a bit. I then realised that doing that funny shuffling thing hurt the same as walking, so I'd just as well keep doing it and finish sooner :laugh8: In the end I finished in two hours twelve minutes.

Everyone I knew who were runners told me once I'd done a half I'd be thinking about the next one, but truth be told I've got no plans to do another. I just don't get the same escape running as I do cycling. BUT it did give me a hearty respect for anyone that does a marathon, or a couple of my friends that do ultramarathons.

I also wish PE hating me knew that one day I'd run a half marathon, trust me if I traveled back in time and told school aged me that (especially during cross country season) I would never have believed me.

Not even distance though, anyone who pushes themselves to do something gets my respect. One of the issues with being fit is most people know you like that, but I too once was overweight and massively struggled with exercise. But as @Covrich said, change takes time but your body can and will adapt.

I do also feel for anyone who has physical issues that get in the way. I'm sure that's mega frustrating.
I cycle in the summer month's. I don't mind running in bad weather. I don't get any enjoyment cycling in the rain

I cycle in the summer month's. I don't mind running in bad weather. I don't get any enjoyment cycling in the rain

I'm more fairweather with it than I used to be, compared to when I commuted over 5,000 miles a year in all weather. Where I worked at the time it was cycle or catch a slow, expensive, crowded bus. Rain and cold wasn't that big a barrier.

When I left that job and my cycle commute became only two miles each way (until covid had its way) I became a lot more choosey in the weather I did leisure cycling in.

Last edited:
Until about 5 years when injuries finally got the better of me I played rugby. I broke my leg playing up in Sleaford when I was 21 at uni and in a year in went from 12.5 stone to 18 stone. 🤣 I was a fat git so I got into running at 23 when after taking magic mushrooms and going to watch my mate play cricket I saw myself in the mirror and had a word with myself. In just over a year I lost 5 stone and entered into a few half marathons and some of those ultra type things cross country, one particular one I remember at beachy head in february, absolutely freezing and **** wet, loved it.
Anyway, just getting back into it again in the last year, I can only do one run a week as my knee hurts but I cycle the rest of the week. My aim is for 3000 miles on the bike this year and at least one 4-5 mile run a week. 👍

Until about 5 years when injuries finally got the better of me I played rugby. I broke my leg playing up in Sleaford when I was 21 at uni and in a year in went from 12.5 stone to 18 stone. 🤣 I was a fat git so I got into running at 23 when after taking magic mushrooms and going to watch my mate play cricket I saw myself in the mirror and had a word with myself. In just over a year I lost 5 stone and entered into a few half marathons and some of those ultra type things cross country, one particular one I remember at beachy head in february, absolutely freezing and **** wet, loved it.
Anyway, just getting back into it again in the last year, I can only do one run a week as my knee hurts but I cycle the rest of the week. My aim is for 3000 miles on the bike this year and at least one 4-5 mile run a week. 👍
I enjoy the adventure races. The last one I done was running, cycling canoeing and a hike. Goods days craic

First run of a marathon training plan yesterday (2 miles 😅!). Aiming to run the Stratford-on-Avon marathon at the end of April. Mileage will start to build up now.
Good on you 💪
Let me know how your training goes. Do you follow a set schedule

Funny I should stumble upon this thread, as I have just had a Facebook memory pop up today from 5 years ago. It was my yearly running total for 2016 - 1179 miles. Just short of 100 miles per month!
I then moved house to a place full of hills (including a 1 in 6 Hill outside the house) and combined with a cruciate ligament injury I picked up lugging my sofa in to the living room, meant I stopped running.
Not really done any since (and my beer belly attests to that fact!)
I even bought a running machine last year and haven't done more than a cursory once a week jog since.

Realllllly need to pull my finger out.

Good on you 💪
Let me know how your training goes. Do you follow a set schedule

I try to as it keeps things focused. For the marathon I'm using one off RunnersWorld RW's 16-week, sub-4:30 marathon training

I've followed their plan for halves in the past and found it does the job. I've gone for a sub 4hr30 option as that's what their race time predictor says I should be able to achieve but if I'm anywhere near that I'll be over the moon. Just got to try and slow down my running a bit now, tend to go out and do everything at the same pace currently 😃

Hi, found this thread just as I started looking at getting into running again.
Been doing a lot of gym work over last 12 months but have really missed being out on my own. A wee 5k yesterday morning to break me in gently. Let's see where it leads😀

Latest posts

Back