Running, you know... to keep the beer belly in check!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been a runner since about 2009. Ran quite a few races between 2009 - 2012 (not competitively!) but now just run to keep the beer belly off and maintain my sanity.

We just moved from Wisconsin to Tennessee so I haven't had much time to run in the past few weeks but I'm slowly working back into it. I hurt my leg back in July while running and ended up having to get a month+ of physical therapy. I'm still not 100% so that is also contributing to my not running as much. On top of that, Tennessee is very hilly compared to Wisconsin so each run feels way more challenging than normal.

Happy brewing and happy running!
Baz

I used to be very active until the downward spiral of a crumbled hip. I had it replaced around 6 years ago and it's been great but recent bouts of sacroiliac pain put paid to any cycling I was trying to do.
Incidentally the surgeon who fixed my hip warned about running on concrete or tar/Road surface,said it'll wreck your joints eventually.
A day fishing is a bit of a work out barrowing my fishing gear round the lake.

When I was younger, I used to be reasonably fit because I played rugby. But the enjoyment of running just for the sake of it always eluded me. And when I see people out running, they always seem as if theyโ€™re in pain. Iโ€™m 67 now with arthritic knees, but I normally try and walk about 5 miles every day. At least that way I get to enjoy the surrounding environment too.

Nowhere near the Malvern hills?

I have seen many people run them
About 30 minutes drive from the Malverns but as I tend to do most of my running during my lunch breaks from work I couldn't really get over there. I did do a 10k trail race in the Malverns earlier on in the year was was nice and challenging! I should probably make more effort to use the countryside around me though rather than just lapping the horse racing course or running the streets, the riverside and canal paths are nice from here.

Sub 2.38 is some running ๐Ÿ‘
Thank-you! At the time my BMI was right on the lower end of "healthy". Now I would be surprised if it has not nudged above the upper limit. Also, I was running around 100 miles a week.

I used to enjoy running, never a great runner but usually just as a bit of cross training in the cycling off season. Unfortunately I have had a bad left knee that flares up now if I do much running so tend to avoid it. Oddly weight training on the legs and 100's of miles a week cycling does not seem to bother it, just running.

Thank-you! At the time my BMI was right on the lower end of "healthy". Now I would be surprised if it has not nudged above the upper limit. Also, I was running around 100 miles a week.
My first marathon was 3.40, as a part time runner. Started to get into it and ran 3.14 on my second. Tried to train to run under 3 hours but it was a big jump up in quantity. I was running 60-70 miles a week, I couldn't manage much more with work and children. Ended up running a 3.14 marathon after 6 months of training. Marathon running is tough

I touched on this on another thread but here goes....

So around autumn/winter 2014 the lack of sleep and general exhaustion of having a 1 and 3 year old seemed to catch up on me. I would say I was pretty unfit then as exercise was a low priority, diet wasn't great and probably drinking too much. Had a succession of fairly bad colds which left me with a persistent cough that I could not shift, it was severely hampering my sleep and left me feeling really miserable. Several rounds of antibiotics later and it still hadn't gone so I got sent for a chest X-Ray, that showed something on my lungs, not to worry said the GP but we're sending you for a CT scan, things kind of accelerated from there....

Ended up getting signed off work for 6 weeks, possibly lymphoma / cancer but a number of other possibilities, on meds for anxiety, lung function tests, bronchoscopy, and finally a surgical biopsy. By this time the cough had largely stopped and I was relieved when I was told it wasn't cancer. Eventually the biopsy showed I had Sarcoidosis which is a fairly rare (1 in 10,000) autoimmune condition that causes inflammation primarily in the lymph nodes and lungs but can affect elsewhere. By then I felt okay so decided not to have any medication as the doctor seemed to think I had a fairly mild case. Several months later we go on a family holiday to Portugal, last chance to do a holiday outside of school holidays, predictably the Sarcoid kicked off again while we were away and the nice holiday that we were supposed to be having really wasn't great as I wasn't sleeping again and coughing a lot.

Back home I got an appointment with the GP who put me on steroids to treat it, which it did more or less instantly, and then saw the consultant who set me up with a long term steroid dosage to keep things under control with regular reviews. As happens with high doses of steroids the weight piled on.

Eventually as the kids got less demanding and I realised I could really do with doing something to get a bit fitter I decided to have a go at this Couch25K thing I'd heard about. Cycling was my go to activity before but I realised to get any decent calorie burn I'd need to be out on it for several hours on the bike whereas it seemed running could compress this into a much shorter time which would be a good thing with the family. I'd tried running in the past and never really got on with it but then that was probably my expectation that I could just go and run for half an hour without any prior training. So off I went phone in hand and app telling me when to run, when to walk and so on.

It went surprisingly well and I completed it early November 2016 with a resolve to keep up with the 3 x half hour run schedule over the winter. I kept it going and my run distances started to get longer in the half hour window and consequently my 5k time faster. I was also actually enjoying it and obviously the weight loss was really starting to happen. The following summer knowing that there was a large 10k race in Worcester in September I thought I'd have a go at that having never done any sort of running event before in my life. So a new app was installed on my phone for 5k to 10k training and I set about that. Finished that program and completed the 10k race in under an hour which I was really pleased with. Was really hooked on it now and 10k became my new distance with me running 2 x half hour + 1 x 1 hour session a week. Kept this going throughout the following year, did a few more 10k events getting faster each time, discovered Parkrun and started dabbling with a bit of trail running over the Winter.

Decided to up the ante again and attempt my first half marathon in 2019 (Stratford on Avon) so started training for that at the start of the year. Late April I managed that in just over 2 hours which I was pleased with at the time. Went on to do another 2 halves that year both under 2 hours and each faster than the previous.

The 2020 arrived and we all know what happened then....

I was signed up for another half late March which got called off but as I was most of the way through training I did a solo effort. Following that I did the Worcester half virtually in September and then trained for the rescheduled date of the one that got called off which got called off again so another solo.

Finally this year got to run the rescheduled half in August and then the Worcester half again beating my previous half marathon PB! To top off this year I decided to have a go at a fast Parkrun last weekend as nowadays I'm usually running it with my son or as part of a longer route, managed to take 20 seconds of my previous PB!

Running hasn't been without its issues, I have a few bouts of lower back trouble which i get anyway and had a dodgy knee for a while but none of it has stopped me for that long though the aches and pains are perhaps a little too frequent for my liking these days. Managed to lose getting on for 4 stone in weight since my worst time so that helps a lot. Been off medication for the Sarcoid for 18 months and all okay there too.

So I'm 50 next year, and I've got this daft idea of doing a marathon to celebrate, wish me luck!

Well done on persevering with the running.
Your story mirrors mine. I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis 4 years ago and took up running soon after. Started with the couch to 5k, proceeded to regular 5ks, up to 10ks and even a couple of 20ks. But I got a bit bored with it and stopped.
Iโ€™ll be turning 60 soon and think I should motivate myself to start up again before itโ€™s too late!

Just turned 47 a couple of weeks ago. Never really did any exercise and even when I was at school and before various bad habits kicked in I would always be in the bottom 3 in the year at cross country.

Like many did the BBC Couch to 5k app starting in about May last year. At the time I was undergoing CBT for various mental health problems.

I finished the C25K and then gradually started going a bit further and whilst I cant say I like it - getting out at the crack of sparrows and seeing nature waking up / the sun coming up definitely has its benefits. Even though I was still hating running I begrudgingly started to accept that all of these 'running w**kers' (as I used to see them) were maybe right about this whole endorphin thing.

Soon I was running up to the Cutty Sark at Greenwich from my home in Beckenham of a Sunday morning, about 11k, having a coffee and getting the train home. I then really got into tracking my progress on Strava and doing all sorts of routes tracking the rivers of South East London and the likes.

Then one particular Sunday I did it the other way round and ran from London Bridge down the river to Greenwich and then home as there were no trains. A half marathon distance - felt a real sense of achievement cf comments on mental health above.

Had only ever run on my own and with my heart typically at about 174 BPM would be difficult to hold a conversation in any case but on the hottest day of the year back in Summer I did an organised race the City of london Great City Run with some colleagues and again real sense of achievement and I didn't finish last.

Anyway bit out of practice currently but have just signed up for the London Landmarks half marathon in April running with the CALM team (Campaign against living miserably) so whilst feeling some trepidation that will give me some motivation to work towards through the winter months. At least I know I have previously done the distance.

Anyway apologies for long rambling post - if anyone wants to follow on Strava , here I am

https://www.strava.com/athletes/71082983

No apologies necessary, this is fantastic to read! Take it easy getting back into it, but sincerely wishing you the very best and good luck!!

Everyone sharing here like this is fantastic, super impressed :cool:

Thank you!!

Just turned 47 a couple of weeks ago. Never really did any exercise and even when I was at school and before various bad habits kicked in I would always be in the bottom 3 in the year at cross country.

Like many did the BBC Couch to 5k app starting in about May last year. At the time I was undergoing CBT for various mental health problems.

I finished the C25K and then gradually started going a bit further and whilst I cant say I like it - getting out at the crack of sparrows and seeing nature waking up / the sun coming up definitely has its benefits. Even though I was still hating running I begrudgingly started to accept that all of these 'running w**kers' (as I used to see them) were maybe right about this whole endorphin thing.

Soon I was running up to the Cutty Sark at Greenwich from my home in Beckenham of a Sunday morning, about 11k, having a coffee and getting the train home. I then really got into tracking my progress on Strava and doing all sorts of routes tracking the rivers of South East London and the likes.

Then one particular Sunday I did it the other way round and ran from London Bridge down the river to Greenwich and then home as there were no trains. A half marathon distance - felt a real sense of achievement cf comments on mental health above.

Had only ever run on my own and with my heart typically at about 174 BPM would be difficult to hold a conversation in any case but on the hottest day of the year back in Summer I did an organised race the City of london Great City Run with some colleagues and again real sense of achievement and I didn't finish last.

Anyway bit out of practice currently but have just signed up for the London Landmarks half marathon in April running with the CALM team (Campaign against living miserably) so whilst feeling some trepidation that will give me some motivation to work towards through the winter months. At least I know I have previously done the distance.

Anyway apologies for long rambling post - if anyone wants to follow on Strava , here I am

That is a great story

WHat everyone always has to remember whatever you goals are, running cycling building muscle becoming althetic whatever is that,

Change.. takes.. time!

I am glad you persevered through the less enjoyable parts of the initial and reeped the benefits of it to change your life in a better way

Well done on persevering with the running.
Your story mirrors mine. I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis 4 years ago and took up running soon after. Started with the couch to 5k, proceeded to regular 5ks, up to 10ks and even a couple of 20ks. But I got a bit bored with it and stopped.
Iโ€™ll be turning 60 soon and think I should motivate myself to start up again before itโ€™s too late!
Rare to hear about a fellow sufferer, you have my sympathies and hope it isn't too bad for you.

And yes, get out there and do some more running! Seems to have helped me no end and it's never too late, the age goes from 6 to probably some in there 80's and beyond down at our Parkrun

No apologies needed, great post and there is no doubt as to what regular exercise does for the mind as well as the body.

I started running in 2016 aged 55. I did Couch to 5k. I remember struggling to run for more than a minute or two to begin with, but I perservered and after completing C25K started taking part in my local parkrun. My first run was on om 29th October 2016. I finished in 33 minutes and 18 seconds. I have now completed 68 parkruns, my PB is 27:34, but that was a couple of years ago, my most recent time was 28:59.

I do three training runs a week and parkrun on Saturday.
I never thought I would enjoy running or take it up. When I started C25K I hadn't run since I was in school 40 years earlier.

If anyone wants to get fit then I highly recommend C25K and parkrun. I also recommened visiting a good sports shop to get properly fitted with a pair of running shoes.

I used to hate really running but 11 years ago when I was 50 yrs old, I moved to Argentina with my job and I decided to join a running team to make friends - I was recently divorced and defiantly not very fit!

From a mental health point of view, running helped to lift my mood and being part of a social group really helped me.

The running coach convinced us bunch of us to train for the Buenos Aires marathon and we ran it as a team. It was tough but it also gave me a real sense of achievement.

I then moved back to Ireland 3 years later with an Argentinian wife and an obsession for marathon running ;-)

I've now run 40 marathons and completed the 6 marathon majors in 2018 (London, Boston, NYC, Berlin, Tokyo and Chicago). Now I'm looking forward to my next race in Edinburgh next May.

I know that running it's not everyone's cup of tea but as the original post stated, it does allow me, at almost pensioner age, to keep the beer belly in check!

I used to loathe the school cross country runs. But, on the downhill side of retirement, I took up Couch to 5k during lockdown and now try to run at least a park run each week. I am definitely among the tail enders but not bothered. I do enjoy getting off the road into green scenery, or along the edge of Poole Harbour - a definite mood lifter in most weathers.

Not in the same league as some other in here (no marathons, half marathons or fell running for me) but I got half way through this thread and decided to drag myself out of bed and do the first 5k for months. Not a spectacular feat (or time!) But the important thing is that I went out and did it so thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread for the inspiration

So I have started back again running. I had covid over Christmas so it was great to get back out in the fresh air. I ran 6 miles the first day and 5 miles the second day. It's like starting all over again. Legs are screaming at me to jump back into the car and head home ๐Ÿ˜„
I have booked a 10 mile race for March so I have something to aim for. At the minute I won't worry about times, finishing the 10 mile will be the goal. I also have about a stone of weight to lose, so more running and less beer ๐Ÿบ

Back