Russell Gas - CO2 supplier in East of Scotland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doive

Reaction score
For anyone in Edinburgh, Fife or Central Scotland, there is a company called Russell Gas who have depots in Edinburgh, Stirling & Larbert. They stock food grade CO2 in 3kg, 6kg or 24kg sizes. Picked a 6kg one up from Edinburgh at lunchtime today for £47.11 all-in, which included a fill of gas at £17, a bottle deposit of £27.41, and the first month's rental at £2.70. No problems, no contracts to sign or forms to fill in, asked the man for food grade CO2, paid the bill, and that was it. So assuming I use a single fill worth of gas in 12 months, that's less than £50 in total.

http://www.russellgas.co.uk/
I've been a BOC customer for over a decade, using only Argoshield Light for welding, but the complete faff and headache of trying to get food grade CO2 from them was unbelievable. First of all they 'lost' my account, then when I said I still had a cylinder in the garage they miraculously found it again, then it was locked, then the guy hung up on me, phoned back and account was released, then they couldn't supply me with CO2 I had to deal with my local agent, when I spoke to the agent they said call BOC direct to arrange - so after six phone calls I was still no closer to finding a means by which I could acquire a cylinder of gas, and nobody seemed capable of supplying me with an answer. So, when this cylinder of Argoshield runs out they can poke it, and I'll be calling down with Russell Gas.

I use the one in Stirling as for some strange reason there doesn't seem to be any decent suppliers in Tayside. Good service.

You mentioned a monthly rental, I'm sure I used them in Larbert for my gas and it was more expensive but no monthly fee?
I'll check the receipt, but I'm sure the guy mentioned a monthly rental.

As a follow up to this, I have a 3 keg setup and my 6kg cylinder has just ran out after 6 weeks. I only use it for force carbing and pressure dispensing - does this sound like a reasonable duration? No obvious signs of leaks, I was expecting it to last much longer than this.

My 6kg cylinder has lasted me more than a year in the past for similar use on a 2 keg setup.

I think you may have a slow leak somewhere.

As a follow up to this, I have a 3 keg setup and my 6kg cylinder has just ran out after 6 weeks. I only use it for force carbing and pressure dispensing - does this sound like a reasonable duration? No obvious signs of leaks, I was expecting it to last much longer than this.
That sounds like a leak to me. I have 5 or 6 kegs and the bottle lasts for about 6 months and that includes use during cleaning etc.
I always turn off at the bottle when not in use as I know I have a very small leak from my old gas distribution board.
If you turn the gas off at the bottle keep an eye on the primary gauges and see if the pressure drops over time which will indicate a leak. (best to pull the disconnects from the kegs when doing this as this will eliminate absorption dropping the pressure)

Thank you gents, I will have to replace then check very carefully. All John Guest fittings and pipework.

New cylinder obtained, and after some careful testing I deduced that one of the corny top seals wasn't seating properly and was letting pressure past. Think I will only pressurise in future when force carbing & dispensing.

Back