Quantcast

Russian Imperial Stout

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Jake Michael

Reaction score
Nice label! What gravity did it finish at then?
From his OG reading I'd make the SG around 1.082 which is higher than any OG of a beer I've brewed ashock1

Just seen he answered before I actually clicked respond as I went away from the computer...

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster
Reaction score
Cool! You're a braver man than I, bottling in glass bottles. Tasting notes?

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster
Reaction score
What do you mean by braver man for bottling in glass?
Finishing at 1.082 leaves loads of scope for lots of further fermentation in the bottle, turning those bottles into bombs. I would make sure you store them very carefully.

Jake Michael

Reaction score
Would it be worth storing them somewhere cool to avoid any further fermentation?
I'd put them all in flexi tubs or something you don't mind getting covered in beer and won't leak, then keep them as cool as possible. Try and think of something to cover the top of what ever you store them in so the beer doesn't fly all over the place if one of the bottles does happen to explode.

I've got not experience with bottle bombs though so other people might be able to advise better.

foxbat

Landlord.
Reaction score
Huh... wait... how did it drop from 17.06% to 16.8% ?

Which yeast are you using to carbonate the bottles at that sky-high ABV?

Grizzly Notations

Landlord.
Reaction score
Huh... wait... how did it drop from 17.06% to 16.8% ?

Which yeast are you using to carbonate the bottles at that sky-high ABV?
I wasn't getting a dead read for 3 days, so I gave it another week and took 5 reads in the end of the same before I was happy to call it a day. I used 10g of M41 and 10g of M42 in the end.

Grizzly Notations

Landlord.
Reaction score
Any more updates on this Grizzly? Tried it yet? Has the house exploded?
No explosions since bottling. They're quite happily sat in the shed keeping cool and hopefully aging beautifully.

I have of course tried a couple, just for research purposes of course wink....

The texture and consistency is genuinely that of oil. It's stupidly smooth when it pours but there is no head whatsoever, I honestly don't think there is any carbonation at all, which I find strange. For a 17% the taste is stupidly cask bourbon and very little alcohol burn in the aftertaste.

I think this will be very good, but it will need time... Lots of it.

Latest posts