Russian Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crikey, you are getting attenuation of around 77% there before factoring in the lactose with a British ale yeast? It's your beer, but I agree with others I think it will be bordering unpleasantly sweet with the lactose addition.

I noticed that you haven't put your hop additions into the calculator. How are you using them? That is a serious amount of Columbus!

Crikey, you are getting attenuation of around 77% there before factoring in the lactose with a British ale yeast? It's your beer, but I agree with others I think it will be bordering unpleasantly sweet with the lactose addition.

I noticed that you haven't put your hop additions into the calculator. How are you using them? That is a serious amount of Columbus!
I will consider the lactose, dont worry, not ignoring people intentionally lol. The columbus thing I'm not sure of, but the extract kit does come with 2 x 75g, so I don't know... kits usually supply you with what they need? The calculator wasn't working for the hops, so left it for now, will it make much difference?

Depending how you use the hops vs what the instructions say they could make a huge difference. And yes they normally give you all the hops you need in the kits.

I'd go with many of the others here and plumb this all into a calculator like beercat was doing. Do one aligned to the recipe and one however you want to tweak it. Compare the differences.

Depending how you use the hops vs what the instructions say they could make a huge difference. And yes they normally give you all the hops you need in the kits.

I'd go with many of the others here and plumb this all into a calculator like beercat was doing. Do one aligned to the recipe and one however you want to tweak it. Compare the differences.

I'll run it through the calculator and maybe you can show me what I'm doing wrong. Also, with the amount of fermentables I plan on using, would I need to consider a strong yeast?

I don't suppose you have the kit yet do you? Or do you have access to the instructions to tell you when to add the hops?
I haven't ordered it just yet, but I know it suggests 7 - 10 days after initial fermentation.

Ahhh, So it's dry hopping with columbus then. No boil addition required so it's probably already pre bittered wort.

Ahhh, So it's dry hopping with columbus then. No boil addition required so it's probably already pre bittered wort.
Nice one, thank you.

I've not received any feedback on the cognac soaked chips... can I presume this is okay then?

The kit is this one here.

Iooks like a really good kit. Great reviews as well. I can't download the instructions but I would recommend you follow them and brew it as intended. You can always split it after fermentation and oak some, use some cocoa nibs etc.
Wonder if anyone on here has done any of these kits?

Generally people use whisky, bourbon, vodka or rum. Personally I prefer whisky as it blends better with a stout I'm.
Noted, thanks. I'm just a bit bored of whisky and rum. And vodka is just vile. I might consider bourbon over the cognac, I'll see what I can grab for a good price in Aldi.

Iooks like a really good kit. Great reviews as well. I can't download the instructions but I would recommend you follow them and brew it as intended. You can always split it after fermentation and oak some, use some cocoa nibs etc.
Wonder if anyone on here has done any of these kits?
The guy who sits behind me in work has done one and said I'd enjoy it. But for that price, it best be a good kit.

Hey there. Careful with that much lactose. My imperial stout is like a pudding after using 500g in a 20 litre batch. Very very sweet. Best of luck!athumb..

Hey there. Careful with that much lactose. My imperial stout is like a pudding after using 500g in a 20 litre batch. Very very sweet. Best of luck!athumb..
Thanks! I am a massive dessert stout fan, so sweet isn't a massive problem for me.

That's what I thought too. A 500ml bottle can be a bit much sometimes though, but at 11.5% it is certainly a relaxing drink!
My stout is mellowing out the harsh edges after 10 months. Too much muscovado sugar!

That's what I thought too. A 500ml bottle can be a bit much sometimes though, but at 11.5% it is certainly a relaxing drink!
My stout is mellowing out the harsh edges after 10 months. Too much muscovado sugar!
It's never enough for me. Ever tried Lervig's Times 8 Stout? 16% Pastry Imperial, most beautiful drink I've had. But that's where I want to go, heavy hitting dessert stouts.

Never heard of it. Wonder where that can be found? "pastry" imperial?

Latest posts

Back