Russian Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may have misunderstood me. DoJ suggested 12% based on a 23l batch, if its the same quantity of ingredients but a 19l batch the final alcohol percentage will be much higher.
As per the calculator, all my ingredients only predicted 11% for 19L.

m41 or their saison yeast will do that.

here's my bad boy..

brew 22 -king kong Black top
10/09/2016
2kg extra dark dme
1 kg medium
1 kg ex light
500g dwe
500g candi dark
450g golden syrup

500g aromatic malt
500g dark crystal
250g roasted barley.
250g caramunich iii

20.5 litres - OG 1.108

01/10/2016
1.010 - fg
12.86%

mj specs page.....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/files-699/Mangrove20Jack20levures.pdf
Thanks a lot!

And that sounds amazing! How does it taste?

Excited! A wonderful 10kg box has arrived with all the ingredients! Will get this started on Saturday afternoon whilst I'm recovering from Friday night.

I think it's important to highlight this post. 5kg of grain is quite different to 5kg of extract.

You appear to have worked out your numbers with grain rather than extract. I'm not sure any beer yeast will handle the gravity you'll be exposing it to.
No. It was calculated using extract. Or were you referring to @prog99? Because mine is here. Its a guideline, but it's pretty close to what I'm using.

Last edited:
@BeerCat I made a mistake and ordered Chocolate Malt instead of Roasted Barely, f**k knows why. Can this still be steeped in 1l of cold water overnight, rinse with 0.5l of cold water the next day and boil for 5 mins to sterilize just like the barely method?

It can be steeped. You are going to struggle to get anywhere bear that final gravity with beer yeast. Also the bitterness is extremely low for such a big beer.

Latest posts

Back