Russian Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's impressive patience, I can never resist having a swig of the hydrometer sample :beer1:

If you're not sure on the OG you'll have to resort to the "drink 3 pints and see what happens" approach to ABV estimation :laugh8:
I'm almost tempted to give it a week more than normal, I mean, if the gravity continues to drop, should I just continue to leave it until such time that it comes to a dead halt?

That's nearly 23%!! ashock1 What did the sample taste like?
Sorry, I completely got this wrong. This morning it was 1.120. No, it hasn't gone up, I just gave you the wrong reading from my **** handwriting. Saturday it was at 1.150.

It has given me an idea though, howabout a 20% strength stout liqueur, using a similar ingredient mix? A bit like a man version of tia maria.

So, quick update. The gravity is falling at snails pace now, so chucked in the hops last night. Only going to give them a couple of days and then I will transfer it all into a second FV with the Bourbon Oak Chips. It's currently sat at 17.06% ABV. I had a small taster last night and it is very very boozy, which is good for me. Only concern was... There's quite a bit of excess Chocolate Malt floating around. Any ideas on how to reduce this and ending up in the bottles?

So, quick update. The gravity is falling at snails pace now, so chucked in the hops last night. Only going to give them a couple of days and then I will transfer it all into a second FV with the Bourbon Oak Chips. It's currently sat at 17.06% ABV. I had a small taster last night and it is very very boozy, which is good for me. Only concern was... There's quite a bit of excess Chocolate Malt floating around. Any ideas on how to reduce this and ending up in the bottles?
Gelatin or Time in FV before packaging

Trick is obviously to keep as much compacted in the buckets. Cold crash, finings all work. Some better than others.

Okay. So just been reading up about Wine Finings and I can't seem to get a clear answer as to how exactly they work. Can anyone explain?

I use KwiK Clear which is a two part beer and wine fining (gelatin & kieselsol).

Most fining agents work by attracting the positively or negatively charged particulate matter suspended within the wine, causing these particles to bind to the fining agent and precipitate to the bottom of the fermenting vessel for effective racking. Below is a handy guide for making sense of the many fining agent options.

This discusses many of the popular ones - https://www.winemakersdepot.com/Fining-Agents-Cheat-Sheet-W148.aspx

Hi. Not quite sure what you meant by "there's quite a bit of excess Chocolate Malt floating around". Are you saying that there is crushed grain in the fv? If so I'm not convinced that finings are going to help.....

Hi. Not quite sure what you meant by "there's quite a bit of excess Chocolate Malt floating around". Are you saying that there is crushed grain in the fv? If so I'm not convinced that finings are going to help.....
Exactly that. I'm just going to sieve it.

Probably your best bet to be honest, perhaps strain though a muslin-lined sieve?
What I've done in the past is this.

When bulk priming I usually connect the FV to the bottling bucket via the taps.
But when I bulk prime something with floaties in I sterilise a paint straining bag.
Put that in the bottling bucket and then syphon from the FV into the bottling bucket.

Brewed and bottled. 16.8% Abv. Bourbon BA Imperial Stout.

20190919_203102.jpg
20190919_203108.jpg

Back