Russian spy: 'More known' about substance involved

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with using capital punishment as a punishment is three-fold:
  1. The crime for which the sentence is used must be defined.
  2. The method of execution must be decided on.
  3. The person sentenced must have actually committed the crime.
In the UK:
  • Capital punishment was used for pickpockets until 1808.
  • Beheading and quartering was abolished in favour of hanging in 1870.
  • Public executions were stopped in 1868.
  • Capital punishment was abolished in 1965 for murder (but retained for some other crimes).
  • Capital punishment was finally abolished completely in 1998.
  • During the period 1950 to 1953 the execution rate averaged 17 per year in England and Wales. A review of the evidence used for the executions in this period of three years resulted in one full pardon and three exonerations with compensations being paid to the surviving relatives.
So, in the UK, we have executed people for petty crimes and we have executed people who haven't committed a capital crime: which is why capital punishment is abhorrent.

In recent memory, other countries have executed their own and other people on the basis of religion, ethnicity, colour, political leanings and many other crimes.

When I was living in Saudi Arabia back in 1980 a woman was executed by "stoning" for the crime of "Adultery". If "Adultery" was a capital crime in the UK, then I for one would have had my neck stretched on many, many occasions! How about you? :wave:

Hi!
I suspect it has been thus for decades, if not centuries.

Agreed. Even if it was the case that education was dominated by the left, surely they should be applauded by the right for capitalising on and dominating the sector. That's how capitalism works right?

The problem with using capital punishment as a punishment is three-fold:
  1. The crime for which the sentence is used must be defined.
  2. The method of execution must be decided on.
  3. The person sentenced must have actually committed the crime.
In the UK:
  • Capital punishment was used for pickpockets until 1808.
  • Beheading and quartering was abolished in favour of hanging in 1870.
  • Public executions were stopped in 1868.
  • Capital punishment was abolished in 1965 for murder (but retained for some other crimes).
  • Capital punishment was finally abolished completely in 1998.
  • During the period 1950 to 1953 the execution rate averaged 17 per year in England and Wales. A review of the evidence used for the executions in this period of three years resulted in one full pardon and three exonerations with compensations being paid to the surviving relatives.
So, in the UK, we have executed people for petty crimes and we have executed people who haven't committed a capital crime: which is why capital punishment is abhorrent.

In recent memory, other countries have executed their own and other people on the basis of religion, ethnicity, colour, political leanings and many other crimes.

When I was living in Saudi Arabia back in 1980 a woman was executed by "stoning" for the crime of "Adultery". If "Adultery" was a capital crime in the UK, then I for one would have had my neck stretched on many, many occasions! How about you? :wave:

It always tickles me that those who are the most vocal and ardently against Islam and Sharia Law are usually the first ones screaming for harsh punishments that closely resemble those they purport to abhor.

Hi!
When was the last time you were in a school staff room? ...........

The last time I was in a school staff room was in July 1979 when I explained to my old Headmaster exactly why I was removing my son from his school. It's a fond memory for me.

He showed some surprise that I had apparently flourished in the fifteen years since he had condemned me as "lazy and stupid" and thrown me out of his school; and then asked me how much money I was earning.

I was already earning more than a Grammar School Headmaster, so I immediately doubled my salary and explained that my new job paid more; and was "tax-free"!

I still remember the look on his face as he mentally calculated the apparent difference in our salaries!

Happy Days indeed! :thumb: :thumb:

The last time I was in a school staff room was in July 1979 when I explained to my old Headmaster exactly why I was removing my son from his school. It's a fond memory for me.

He showed some surprise that I had apparently flourished in the fifteen years since he had condemned me as "lazy and stupid" and thrown me out of his school; and then asked me how much money I was earning.

I was already earning more than a Grammar School Headmaster, so I immediately doubled my salary and explained that my new job paid more; and was "tax-free"!

I still remember the look on his face as he mentally calculated the apparent difference in our salaries!

Happy Days indeed! :thumb: :thumb:
I got exactly the same comments when I got kicked out of school at 15. I've since realised that I wasn't a stupid pupil, but had a lot of stupid teachers who didn't know how to deal with people that think outside of the box.

According to BBC News this morning, the UK government have just found £48,000,000 (they must have looked down the back of a sofa) and are planning to spend it on a new germ-warfare research facility at Porton Down!

This afternoon I can't find any reference to that bit of news so SWMBO and myself are beginning to wonder if we dreamed it.

Weird eh? Almost as weird as the government finding all that money in these times of mass austerity! :wave:

It was on the 3 o'clock news....

Thank goodness for that! :thumb:

It's been removed from the BBC Text service so I was worried that we had been dreaming! The BBC originally posted details on their Text service that included the name of the new establishment.

So, I am now wondering how the Government can suddenly find £48 million to build this new facility and assuming that it isn't filled with people being paid the minimum wage, how the hell are they going to keep funding it when it is built?

I'm not saying that such a thing has happened, but for £48,000,000 I can see how someone might be tempted to commit a crime; especially if they could blame it on someone else!
:UKflag:

You could say the same about high speed railway which is going to cost billions, the latest news is many schools are running in the red and a 1% pay rise for teachers will make things a lot worse but it's ok because a very small number of the population will be able to get to their destination a little faster in a few years.:roll:

According to BBC News this morning, the UK government have just found £48,000,000 (they must have looked down the back of a sofa) and are planning to spend it on a new germ-warfare research facility at Porton Down!

This afternoon I can't find any reference to that bit of news so SWMBO and myself are beginning to wonder if we dreamed it.

Weird eh? Almost as weird as the government finding all that money in these times of mass austerity! :wave:

Fantastic!
Very happy to see that the government is taking this threat seriously and funding a place to create antidotes, vaccinations and treatments for germ warfare.
It may well have the bonus of gathering information concerning superbugs and viral epidemics that could put civilisation at risk. :wave:

Hang on though, what will chemical weapons do to the barley harvest?

War - What is it good for?
Hi!
Somehow, this didn't post this morning.
Lovin' the Edwin Starr allusion :thumb1:
However, to be cynical, war is good for diverting attention away from the botch-job which the government are making of running the country; it's good for boosting the popularity of theTory government; it's good for a few gongs, knighthoods and peerages for those sitting around the Cabinet table.

Fantastic!
Very happy to see that the government is taking this threat seriously and funding a place to create antidotes, vaccinations and treatments for germ warfare.

Er ........ the UK has had such a facility since 1916! In operation for over 100 years it has become famous all over the world and is known as "Porton Down". Here's a brief description of the facility:

"It is home to two UK Government facilities: a site of the Ministry of Defence's Defence Sciencs and Technology Laboratory - known for over 100 years as one of the UK's most secretive and controversial military research facilities, occupying 7,000 acres (2,800 ha) – and a site of Public Health England"

If you check out what it does and why it shares the same space, "Public Health England" is there to look after the public's health!

So, with the MoD satisfied and Public Health satisfied why does the Government feel it necessary to spend £48,000,000 on a new facility that will apparently duplicate the efforts of the people who are already there and doing a superb job? :wave:

Er ........ the UK has had such a facility since 1916! In operation for over 100 years it has become famous all over the world and is known as "Porton Down". Here's a brief description of the facility:

"It is home to two UK Government facilities: a site of the Ministry of Defence's Defence Sciencs and Technology Laboratory - known for over 100 years as one of the UK's most secretive and controversial military research facilities, occupying 7,000 acres (2,800 ha) – and a site of Public Health England"

If you check out what it does and why it shares the same space, "Public Health England" is there to look after the public's health!

So, with the MoD satisfied and Public Health satisfied why does the Government feel it necessary to spend £48,000,000 on a new facility that will apparently duplicate the efforts of the people who are already there and doing a superb job? :wave:
So how do you know that the MOD and Public Health are satisfied with their present facilities?

Latest posts

Back