Rye Beer (All grain)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheshirehomebrew

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, have been away from here for far too long so thought I would update you with my latest creation/possible disaster as I have made up my own recipe and it is already in bottles.

I thought I would use rye grain but wanted to really push it as all the recipes I have seen use around 8-10%, as you can see I went way beyond that (hence the cheesy title). I managed to get 38 bottles out of the 5 gallon carboy I have.

I use brewers friend to come up with beers that I think I will like so I have posted below the recipe for you all to check out and comment on. Like I said its now been dry hopped and bottled just this week so I have 4 weeks to see if its any good or not. It did smell really good and had a nice taste to it when I caught a little as I was syphoning it into bottles but wont know for a while.

Rye Rye Rye - Delilah

Original Gravity (OG): 1.036 (°P): 9.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.007 (°P): 1.8
Alcohol (ABV): 3.82 %
Colour (SRM): 7.8 (EBC): 15.4
Bitterness (IBU): 28.1 (Tinseth - No Chill Adjusted)
36.59% German - Rye
36.59% United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale
18.29% United Kingdom - Crystal 30L
8.54% Flaked Corn

0.4 g/L Zythos (8.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Zythos (8.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Zythos (8.7% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 62°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 16°C with Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Dry hopped with 10gms of Zythos for 10 days

10grams was all I really wanted to use for the 5 gallons I didn't want to overpower the beer or take away from amount if hops I used. I dry hopped for 10 days and it seemed to give it a good nose as I bottled it.

I use brew in a bag and have a very large strainer, the only think I noticed on sparging was how sticky it was, other than that no, no issues at all. If you use a container with a tap so long as you have a medium mesh filter it should be ok.

Will post some pics when the bottles are a bit clearer as the secondary ferment has only just started.

Fair enough. With Rye being a typically American (and German) ingredient, American hops and yeast, I expected to see American levels of dryhopping and wondered if a 0 was missing.

Look forward to updates on how this turns out, given the size of the Rye addition.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

10% has been my upper limit. Although, my currently fermenting brew has 20%, but it's only 0.5% ABV, so I could probably go to the full 100% with no ill effects.

Think I am bang on 3.8% with my beer so am happy about that. The total hop bill was 10g at 30 mins, 15g at 15 mins and 15g at one minute (flame out) with little or no chill.

I don't have a chiller so I popped it in the bath and kept running cold(ish) water round the bucket to pull the temp down to the levels I like to ferment at, which is on the low end of the scale of the yeast (around 16% degrees). I left it to ferment for 10 days then syphoned into a carboy and dry hopped for 10 days before bottling.

I prime the bottles as it gives me greater control than adding 100g of sugar solution to the carboy, plus I would have to stir it up a little and that would disturb the sediment at the bottom. all in all I got 38 bottles out of it. I could have topped up the carboy with water and or sugar solution and got 43 bottles but it would have diluted the flavour and look of it.

If you use to much rye chrystal and corn and you are taking the risk you malt won't have enough enzymes to convert all the starches in the Rye to sugar . The chrystal doesn't need converting (as the starches become sugar int he crystal malt process - but the rye and Maize (corn) do. With only 38% of your grain bill having diastastic qualities to convert the starch this can result in an inefficient mash and a weak brew that does not clear well and poor flavour. You may well find that you don't even get a stronger rye flavour as if you have reduced the amount of malt so your starches in your rye is not converted you may find the rye does not release other flavour compounds as easily. !
Of course modern malts are capable of converting much more non malt adjuncts than the ones used to formulate traditional recipes so you may find we can exceed the traditional safe amount oaf adjuncts with a good malt.
Will be interesting to see the results of your experiment . If you are determined to use such high levels of adjuncts I recommend a lower temperature stepped mash to make the most of what you have got .
Mark

I'm assuming Rye (German) is malted as would typically be used in a Roggenbier so will have good diastatic power. Around 65 degrees lintner IIRC. Which, now I think about it, Roggenbier typically used +50% malted Rye, and make this recipe look tame. [emoji16] Stupid brain, all the info was in there, just not connected together.

Last edited:
I'm assuming Rye (German) is malted as would typically be used in a Roggenbier so will have good diastatic power. Around 65 degrees lintner IIRC. Which, now I think about it, Roggenbier typically used +50% malted Rye, and make this recipe look tame. [emoji16] Stupid brain, all the info was in there, just not connected together.

Oh yes that would make sense if was a malted rye - I assumed it wasn't as the OP said he was going over normal limits (which seemed to be sensible limits for unmalted adjuncts) Maybe he'll post and say what he was using.

Anyway enough chatting - off to a beer festival - anyone in Yorkshire do join us at Guiseley Theatre!

Thanks Mark that wasn't something I was aware of, the label on the bag of Rye just says, Pale malt (ebc6), Pale Rye Malt and it comes from Brupaks product of Germany. Also somehow the recipe above states flaked corn, I actually used flaked maize instead of torrefied wheat as I was getting poor results with that

Doubly looking forward to the outcome of this, now, as it has inspired me to design a Roggenbier recipe and order some of the ingredients I needed. Basically, a obsolete German beer like a Dunkelweizen with rye exchanged for wheat.

Last edited:
that's a beer that has fallen our of fashion as well isn't it, it will be back in as soon as guys like brewdog or dogfish head start producing it and it becomes trendy again

beerpic1.jpg
beerpic2.jpg
beerpic3.jpg
beerpic4.jpg
beerpic5.jpg
beerpic6.jpg
beerpic7.jpg
beerpic8.jpg

Some pics of it in the carboy and bottled, its hasn't cleared yet be another few weeks..

OK so last week I tried a couple bottles, I was a bit HMMM this isn't what it was supposed to be.

It wasn't all that carbonated and had a slightly metallic tang to it, have had a couple this week and that tang is lessening.

Next time I get to my HBS I will check is the rye I bought had been malted, I used a high percentage as opposed to using it as an adjunct so perhaps next time I will add in extra crystal as well. Am going to do a stout ready for Christmas I almost have enough bottles to do that.

Also on my to do list will be a cider and later on will fill a couple of demijohns with mead ready for next spring. should keep me out of mischief

Hi Clint, I got them from my local homebrew shop in Stockport, think I only paid about £2 for 100gms. They are from Bulldog and are pellets.

they have a website called bulldogbrews.co.uk if that's any help. I do have some left if you need any, possibly 15-20gms

Hi Clint, I got them from my local homebrew shop in Stockport,

Ha ha, you were lucky to find them, very helpful, if a little chaotic in there. Were they on the rack near the counter, or on the floor nearby? [emoji23]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back