Rye IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the weather getting better (fingers crossed) and BBQs on the horizon, I wanted to brew something I can keg and hook up to the pallet bar I've built.

I've had some Rye IPAs recently and really like the interplay between the spicy earthiness of the rye and the pungent pine and dank of the hops. However, I wanted to see if more fruity hops would also work well with the rye, so strayed away from the C hops.

I had originally planned on adding the flavour hops at whirlpool, but I was a little scared this might not work so adapted the recipe slightly.

Batch size: 14l
Estimated OG: 1.054
Estimated FG: 1.009
Estimated ABV: 6.00%
Estimated IBU: 58.3
Estimated Colour: 14.6 EBC
Estimated Efficiency: 70%

2.00kg Lager (UK) - 58.0%
550g Pale Rye (UK) - 15.9%
450g Munich (Mix of UK/Ger) - 13.0%
100g Pale Crystal (UK) - 2.9%
100g Crystal (UK) - 2.9%
50g Caravienne (Bel) - 1.4%
200g Dextrose - 5.8% - Added after boil

Mash schedule was 66°C for 60 minutes.

25g Magnum (Ger): 60 minutes - 46.0 IBU
9g Ahtanum (US): 10 minutes - 2.7 IBU
9g Mosaic (US): 10 minutes - 6.1 IBU
9g Motueka (NZ): 10 minutes - 3.6 IBU
9g Ahtanum (US): 0 minutes - Steep at 79°C for 20 minutes
9g Mosaic (US): 0 minutes - Steep at 79°C for 20 minutes
9g Motueka (NZ): 0 minutes - Steep at 79°C for 20 minutes

10g Ahtanum (US): Dry Hop - 4 days
10g Mosaic (US): Dry Hop - 4 days
10g Motueka (NZ): Dry Hop - 4 days

Yeast: Mangrove Jack's New World Strong Ale

I had a rare midweek day off yesterday. Started about 08:30 by heating up the 25l total liquor needed. This was a mix of 75% Ashbeck and 25% Sutton & East Surrey's finest. This mix gave me an ok balance of minerals for pale and amber beers according the a water calculator on Brewer's Friend. Whilst filling with the water, I made some rudimentary stickers for the liquid level in my sight glass.

It took about 50 minutes for the liquor to get up to target temp. Beersmith said 71°C, however this has previously given me a lower mash temp than desired so I went for 72°C. Still the mash was 2 degrees off, so I added a kettle of boiled water. After a bit of stirring the temp seemed the stabilise at 66°C, although it peaked at a degree higher about 10 minutes later. The mash temp at the end was 66°C so I'm satisfied.

I think I'm going to add a temp probe to HLT when I get around to converting my third pot into a boiler, my meat thermometer is decent enough, but I think the steam can mess with the readings sometimes.

The run-off from the mash was much clearer than I've ever had (perhaps thanks to the several handfuls of oat husks I added to the bottom of the tun). A very short vorlauf was conducted before emptying and then adding the sparge liquid at 76°C. The first runnings were a decent 1.084. A quick, but thorough stir and I sealed the tun for a further 20 minutes. Overall I collected 25l of 1.044 of pre-boil wort, 1 gravity point higher than the target. I didn't encounter any sort of gummy mash or difficulties with run off I had read can happen with rye, although I believe this is mostly a concern with higher percentages of rye than my recipe.

A fairly trouble-free brewday was only enhanced by the lovely weather. Brewing in my summer house meant I could lounge in the garden keeping an eye on the boil, whilst sinking a few homebrews and cyders (regretting those today though) which also meant I didn't get many photos.

The boil went fairly uneventfully, except my Tesco delivery turning up just before the 10 minute addition was due. I lauched the shopping into the living room to put away later. The hops all smelt great, the 2015 Mosaic was especially magnificent.

As I was using all pellets for the first time I used a hop bag, in addition to performing a whirpool at flame-out (or switch-off) and my coil 'lauterhexe' hop filter. I chilled to 79°C, then turned off the tap and added the steeping hop additions for 20 minutes.

Upon the wort chilling to 23°C I began to transfer to the FV, passing through a sieve which had been lined with stainless steel scourers. This was definitely overkill, but it eased my concerns over getting pellet hop sludge into the fermenter. A healthy cone of trub and hop sludge remained in the kettle with no danger of getting into the FV.

First time using this yeast, so unsure how low the FG will go. Beersmith predicted 1.009 but that was based on US05 so hopefully it will be similar.

I may increase the dry hop so it's nearer 4-5g/l, but that depends if I can get the hops.

I've brewed today using that same yeast. It supposed to attenuate high, so I'm expecting between 1.010 and 1.008.

Looks a nice recipe mate. I've got some Ahtanum coming, really looking forward to using them, they sound fantastic... Right up my street.

Oh, I forgot to add that I used the 'My Recipe Kits' recipe builder from The Malt Miller. Very happy with the results and think I'm going to continue ordering ingredients in this way. Much better than having half opened bags of malt and hops, although it will mean no more impromptu user-upper brews.

In case anyone fancies brewing it, the kit is here - http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1159

I upped the Munich and Dextrose (from 190g) on the day as I brewed to 14l, not 11.5l as originally planned.

I've brewed today using that same yeast. It supposed to attenuate high, so I'm expecting between 1.010 and 1.008.

Looks a nice recipe mate. I've got some Ahtanum coming, really looking forward to using them, they sound fantastic... Right up my street.

I'll be happy with an FG in that region.

Thanks very much. My first time using them, but a lot of the beers I like use them so thought it was about time. I thought the apparent earthiness/spiciness the hop can give would work well with the rye.

Nice looking recipe YF I am a big fan of Rye in beers myself, planning on a version of my Rye IPA using Falconers Flight 7Cs mostly so I can call it '7 C's of Rye'! Your numbers are all pretty close to mine, it should be a cracker especially with those hops....:thumb:

That recipe looks boom, want to aim for something similar one day but would try to go for more of a deeper ruby feel to it

Didn't get around to kegging this until last week, although I pulled the dry hops put after five days. Keg conditioned with dextrose. I only had enough CO2 for a couple of quick purges and to seal the lid, so hope all is ok. Will exchange my empty Sodastream cylinders next weekend and report back on first tasting.

I've also been indulging in rye beers of late.

Great recipie great write up. Keep us informed ;-)

Just sampled this using my fancy new flow control faucet.

First impressions are it's not what I wanted it to be. I think the tame dry hop is to blame. Saying that, it's still flavoursome, but more citrus pith than tropical thoughts. Firm bitterness balances the strength and the rye character is very drying in a pleasant way.

All in all, I'm not terribly disappointed. This is probably more in-keeping with most Rye IPAs hop flavour-wise. Aroma is a let-down, but I'm pleased.

The flow control faucet is the dog's cojones, perfect for my serving needs and space.

I've got a Pilsner I brewed a few weeks ago fermenting that used ahtanum and saaz. Can't wait to see how that one comes out.

Maybe the big hops and the rye need a few weeks to mellow off and combine into something awesome!?!?!

Back