S30 / Hambleton Bard connector alternative

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will bring a smile to your faces even if you don’t use pressure barrels with these connectors....
02D4B779-8905-49D4-B384-D4443DCEB8CC.jpeg
23BB3C00-DDD6-497D-97FF-1420D70AC8C7.jpeg

...so, a common thread of late on this forum has been related to these type of connectors and specifically about the unreliability and unpredictability of the performance of the RBT (rubber band technology) that they rely on to work. So, being a retired ol’ geezer with not enough to do with my time I put together a RBF (rubber band free) alternative based on some of the bits I use on myPBs....
88AA4BB3-6FDC-4B90-96AA-0EB8ECE228F7.jpeg

As you can see, this is fitted to a 2” cap so will fit a 4” too. The cap hole needs to be enlarged (filed out) a little to take the bulkhead fitting but once that’s done it’s just like Lego putting it together. Non-return valve courtesy of the Corny gas post, so can be connected to a proper bulk gas supply. Pressure relief valve is provided by a radiator bleed valve so when the gauge indicates excess pressure during carbonation, it can be vented.

Works out about three times the price of the HB valve ashock1 so not an economic alternative but no RBT!

Hope it amused :laugh8:

This is insanely awesome… Would you mind providing a parts list??
"Insane" yes! :laugh8:
Just had a rummage in the shed to find the bits..
IMG_20220718_172635761_HDR.jpg

As you can see, I've made a couple of changes. I've made the pressure relief valve detachable in line with my King Kegs. The valve is only required during carbonation provided you have a well regulated CO2 supply when re-gassing. Also the 4 way connector can be replaced with an equal T. So the bits....
IMG_20220718_172850457_HDR.jpg

1/4" BSP rear entry 0-30 psi gauge
1/4" BSP female T stainless steel
1/4" BSP running nipple stainless steel
1/4" BSP bulkhead fitting
20 mm dowry washer
Corny gas post
Stainless steel parts I got from Pipedreamfittings.com
The other bits from eBay context-pneumatics-supplies-cpm

IMG_20220718_122632209.jpg

The pressure relief valve assembly is
Gas disconnect
10 mm OD gas pipe
1/4" NPT/10 mm push fit connector
1/4" NPT 15psi pressure relief valve
10-12mm pipe clamp

Edit: to show T fitting (I found after I posted)

Last edited:
Why didn’t you put the prv where the rad valve was?
I used to use a rad valve on my King Kegs instead of a prv but found it inconvenient when carbonating. I was surprised how quickly the pressure can rise and found myself having to get up through the night to keep the pressure under control. So rad valve seemed like a good idea at the time but not in practice.
I saw the disconnectable prv on here so pinched the idea. Works well.

I used to use a rad valve on my King Kegs instead of a prv but found it inconvenient when carbonating. I was surprised how quickly the pressure can rise and found myself having to get up through the night to keep the pressure under control. So rad valve seemed like a good idea at the time but not in practice.
I saw the disconnectable prv on here so pinched the idea. Works well.
Brilliant thanks. I’ve got a lot of plumbing fittings so I will try resurrecting my pressure barrel. My biggest worry was the lack of a prv.

Amazing, this is just the thing I want to get up to when I retire.

So I've sourced two brass fittings that will allow me to connect up to master co2.
However they have 6mm id hose fitted.
Ideally I want to use JG fittings and beer line.

Could I use one of these John Guest Tube to Hose Stem - 3/8

To connect the hose to JG hose via a 3/8 connector?

My plan is regulator, through non return valve to a 2 way split via ball valve then to soft hose to the kegs?
When I actually get the fittings I will see if I can attach straight to JG hose but I suspect a small length of hose will be required.
If not this any other suggestions.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back