S30 Valve Failures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianTrace

Reaction score
My pressure barrels have been in storage, followed by the shed for 3 years, so got their S30 valve seals changed and new taps before use :thumb: And a thorough clean and sterilisation.

The SS S30 valve on my beersphere leaks, possibly due to leaving it with steriliser in it for those 3 years :doh: Just slightly corroded :doh:

Last night I decided to try the winter wherry warmer (single can winter warmer plus single wherry can). Last seen, the keg had a good pressure, but I found that it had lost it... Then I found the reason :-o
IMG_20151108_085929_zpskkijtqx4.jpg

I guess the safety release valve didn't :-( That explains the loud bang that woke everyone last week!!!
Like the beersphere, a replacement valved lid is £10 plus postage, so I have come up with a different solution
IMG_20151108_085826_zpsxkqipyfi.jpg

Thanks to Leadhead I am now kitted out with these bad boys :party: Why didn't I do this earlier? They are brilliant and easy (once I worked out that to turn the regulator off you have to "open" it :roll:)

Boo for S30 valves, hooray for Cornies.

I gave up on pressure barrels years ago. I just found them too unreliable.

Cornies are a bigger initial cost and a bit more work sorting the gas etc, but once set up they work a treat. :smile:

my budget barrel caps have been drilled for an airlock.. might as well re -use em

mmm king kegs not so sure about...

That sounds good, until I imagine trying to remove the krausen ring afterwards, in a vessel with a 2" opening :-? How do you go about it.. Is it a bottle brush or a soak with a good cleaner?

No king kegs here, though. Only Corneys now

Latest posts

Back