Sabro recipe ideas please?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hengoedbrewer

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys

After a very small issue with a previous order; the lovely people from @Get_Er_Brewed have added in 250g of Sabro and 250g Galaxy on the house as part of my latest order with them- much appreciated.

I've just brewed with Galaxy as it happens, but never used Sabro; so was wondering if anyone had any recipe suggestions? As Sabro is new to me I'd lean towards a SMaSH, but not sure on quantities to use and by the sounds of the flavour profiles; the 2 hops would actually go well together? I'm thinking a juicy IPA or pale as those are right up my street (Not a NEIPA, though, as I don't think I am sufficiently experienced at AG to brew one at this stage). I also have some Cascade and Citra in very small amounts in my freezer if that helps.

Any ideas greatfully received, thanks as ever!!

Last edited:
Ive used sabre a few times and its by far my fav new hop.
It can get very woody and cedar tasting if used too much.
1st time I used 50% Sabro and it was too much.
I now go with 30% and its perfect

Ive used sabre a few times and its by far my fav new hop.
It can get very woody and cedar tasting if used too much.
1st time I used 50% Sabro and it was too much.
I now go with 30% and its perfect

thanks for coming back to me- would a third each of galaxy / citra / sabro work then do you think with maybe a clean bittering hop? What sort of quantities do you think?

If you do more than 30% you'll see what I mean about a cedar taste.
Now mine tastes like Pina colada

Thanks again... I do 10L ish BIAB brews; so I'll plug it into Brewers Friend and see what that gives me with a simple grain bill of 3kg Maris Otter as starting point. What sort of hop schedule did you use there if you don't mind a further question? I'm tending to go 30 mins for bittering addition / 10 / 0 / dry hop at the moment.

The By the Mash Tun podcast chaps did an episode last year where they judged Reading Homebrew Club's 'Showcase Sabro' competition. From memory, a Brut Pale won but a small batch BIAB SMaSH was second or third. Worth a listen.

Thanks for this
The By the Mash Tun podcast chaps did an episode last year where they judged Reading Homebrew Club's 'Showcase Sabro' competition. From memory, a Brut Pale won but a small batch BIAB SMaSH was second or third. Worth a listen.
Thanks for this, will see if I can get hold of it.

I really want to try the Sabro and I love Citra, so tempted to go that way but really struggling with finding Sabro recipes for some guidance on quantities to use.
If you read the American sites they seem to think it's very dominant. I think they recommend only 20% of your total hop bill. If your familiar with citra why not go 2:1. 100g citra 50g of sabro and work it from there. I have used it once and I tasted a beer Dan sent me. It's a nice hop but I didn't get the coconut flavour described in its profile.

If you read the American sites they seem to think it's very dominant. I think they recommend only 20% of your total hop bill. If your familiar with citra why not go 2:1. 100g citra 50g of sabro and work it from there. I have used it once and I tasted a beer Dan sent me. It's a nice hop but I didn't get the coconut flavour described in its profile.
That's a good idea, most of the US recipes tended towards NEIPA's which I don't think I have the skill at the moment to pull off being only 5 AG brews in. I may actually go Galaxy and Sabro as had forgotten my next brew is Citra Simcoe and I know what I want to do there. Going for smaller quantities of Sabro sounds like the way to go for sure. Thanks.

Hi guys

After a very small issue with a previous order; the lovely people from @Get_Er_Brewed have added in 250g of Sabro and 250g Galaxy on the house as part of my latest order with them- much appreciated.

I've just brewed with Galaxy as it happens, but never used Sabro; so was wondering if anyone had any recipe suggestions? As Sabro is new to me I'd lean towards a SMaSH, but not sure on quantities to use and by the sounds of the flavour profiles; the 2 hops would actually go well together? I'm thinking a juicy IPA or pale as those are right up my street (Not a NEIPA, though, as I don't think I am sufficiently experienced at AG to brew one at this stage). I also have some Cascade and Citra in very small amounts in my freezer if that helps.

Any ideas greatfully received, thanks as ever!!
Brew a pale ale with centennial and sabro dry hopped 🍺

Paul from cloudwater said last night on YouTube the same as I said.
A third Sabro which is 33% in the whirlpool and quarter in the dry hop

Latest posts

Back