Sabro.

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

LeeH

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve just dumped these in the whirlpool for a single hop NEIPA. My garage now smells like a Thai curry house. The coconut and lemon grass aroma is unreal.

Not too sure how a Thai curry pint is going to taste like though.

the baron

Landlord.
Reaction score
Not cheap then but if it gives a concentrated flavour and it works its not much dearer than 150g of most intense IPA hops

LeeH

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea what the like for like is compared to pellets apart from the cost.

I could compare it for ibu’s in my software but seeing I’m not using it for that purpose it won’t be that helpful. Maybe doing a batch with just pellets will be the only way.

the baron

Landlord.
Reaction score
yes unless you have used Sabro hops it is going to be hard to compare. I bought some of those oils you use as drops in beerhttps://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/pure-hop-aroma-oil-citra/ in 4 different flavours and was very disappointed with them the hop oils did not taste like the real hops at all in fact they tasted very similar and Citra was certainly not like Citra hops

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes unless you have used Sabro hops it is going to be hard to compare. I bought some of those oils you use as drops in beerhttps://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/pure-hop-aroma-oil-citra/ in 4 different flavours and was very disappointed with them the hop oils did not taste like the real hops at all in fact they tasted very similar and Citra was certainly not like Citra hops
Me too, I wouldn’t use it again , maybe it’s because I knew I used oils but it just tasted fake

the baron

Landlord.
Reaction score
Mine are still in the fridge and will be there for a long time maybe ok to use in a beer where you can mask the wrong hop choice just to make it possibly drinkable-hate throwing beer and yes it taste synthetic to me too

Pennine

Reaction score
That description is hilarious and hideous. Maybe the 20% or less rule really is accurate for Sabro. You do need to follow up on this, they were planned for the next order.

Leon103

Landlord.
Reaction score
I liked the Sabro in my DDH pale. Very nice and no thai curry flavour

Keats

Reaction score
I bought some pellets from CML last week as not heard much about them and they sounded unusual. @Leon103 and @Brew_DD2 how did you use them and how much did you use?

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster
Reaction score
I used 50g as a flameout addition for a Hefeweizen (not true to style). Also did a Pale Ale with 100g dry hop of Sabro. Plays nicely with other hops but worked well on its own too.

Keats

Reaction score
I used 50g as a flameout addition for a Hefeweizen (not true to style). Also did a Pale Ale with 100g dry hop of Sabro. Plays nicely with other hops but worked well on its own too.
Thanks, I tend to do a flameout addition and a dry hop. Any hops in particular it worked well with?

the baron

Landlord.
Reaction score
I do late additions only and flameouts don't work for me as I do no chill. My dry hops do not tend to lose that much flavour but I appreciate it does happen for some brewers, I would say the taste like any beer does change as it matures

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster
Reaction score
Thanks, I tend to do a flameout addition and a dry hop. Any hops in particular it worked well with?
I think they would work nicely of any of the modern American hops tbh.

Group Builder