Sad day ...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dry hopped today with 100g Mosaic.
In a sock !
I’d added a touch of crystal malt to the recipe this time - tastes scrummy pre hops.

Hopefully this one will stay away from the sink !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first time I dry hopped on an extract kit (only my 2nd or 3rd ever extract kit, I think), I didn't realise that when bottling there would be loads of bits floating about, just hadn't considered it.

I ended up filling 40 bottles through a small kitchen funnel with a muslin cloth stuck in it. Painfully slow, but did the trick, of a bit cloudy but didn't affect the final beer (I'm not fussed about having clear beers, if it comes out cloudy, it comes out cloudy, I actually like to think it adds flavour, and looks better in the glass - one of the lovely things about doing it yourself...!).

The first time I dry hopped on an extract kit (only my 2nd or 3rd ever extract kit, I think), I didn't realise that when bottling there would be loads of bits floating about, just hadn't considered it.

I ended up filling 40 bottles through a small kitchen funnel with a muslin cloth stuck in it. Painfully slow, but did the trick, of a bit cloudy but didn't affect the final beer (I'm not fussed about having clear beers, if it comes out cloudy, it comes out cloudy, I actually like to think it adds flavour, and looks better in the glass - one of the lovely things about doing it yourself...!).

Personally I think it can detract from flavor and mostly looks bad in the glass, especially bitter and lagers.
I would be pretty ****** off if I bought a beer in a pub other than wheat beer or curtain IPA's and it was cloudy.
It indicates unprofessional, poor brewing practices.

Personally I think it can detract from flavor and mostly looks bad in the glass, especially bitter and lagers.
I would be pretty ****** off if I bought a beer in a pub other than wheat beer or curtain IPA's and it was cloudy.
It indicates unprofessional, poor brewing practices.
Good job I'm a pewter smith. All my beers look fine.

Although my last one looks to be the clearest yet.

I've never had a problem with hops. I leave the fermenter for 2 weeks, then transfer to bottling bucket, I don't cold crash. Even the murkier ones always clear up nicely in the bottle with time. Only once I've used a straining bag on the siphon and to be honest I think it oksidiced the beer a little. I normally tilt the bucket a little sideways and put a book or something underneath before transfer. At most a loose 1 liter of beer.

I’ve decided I’m going to try a hop tea for the next batch.

I dry hopped with a bag this time , but still some hop matter into the bottle.

I know it will settle out , but it’s just a faff !

Pvt, what type of bag left you with bits? Usually a Muslim cloth is fine enough not to let anything out... Also, with time and chilling they should clear well.

Saisonator, the taste/cloudiness are extremely subjective, so fair enough. I'm not a pro, and I too would be miffed if I bought a cloudy pint from a pub. However, that's the beauty of home brew as I see it - right now on my journey, worrying about the perfectly clear pint is some ways off, I'm just enjoying the process.

I might add, other than my first dry hopping mistake (where like Pvt I learned the hard way!) I haven't had any issues. After a few weeks in the fridge, my beer is pretty clear, and I don't use any finings (I'm trying to keep things as natural as possible)...

Sláinte

I’ve just binned 22 ish litres of what was going to be a delightful hoppy IPA.

This time I dry hopped without a bag. Thinking I’d filter through into the bottling bucket.

What a mare ... filter kept on blocking. Lots of faffing... in out , in out .

End result was a murky looking substance ... not worthy of the bottle.

So I chucked it in a fit of emotional rage ! Tasted and smelled gorgeous before faff gate kicked in !!

What’s the trick and approach with dry hopping then ? What did I do wrong ?

Inconsolably weeping into the bucket , a very downbeat , wondering why, home brewer !

Hi , I use stainless steel tea strainers. They can be bought on eBay from China really cheap and are brilliant for dry hopping or putting fruit peel or dried coconut in for my stouts. They come in a range of sizes. Just put hop pellets in and away you go.

Latest posts

Back