Saf-04 and over-attenuation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggtime

Reaction score
Morning all,

I've just taken a final gravity reading on a wheat beer I made last week, that I fermented with my safety first choice of Saf-04. It seems to have come out at around 1.008, which surprised me a little. I was expecting more like 1.010 or 1.011. OG was 1.045.

Do others find Saf-04 going a little further than expected, or might it be the beer style (roughly 50/50 pale and wheat malt)? Fermented in temp controlled fridge at 20C for just over 4.5 days so was possibly expecting it to be a point or two short still.

Interested to hear other peoples' views. It tastes all right, but definitely needs the fruit it will get in secondary.

It doesn't seem to make a deal of difference which ever yeast I use, they all come out at 1004 - 1006.
So your 1008 seems quite reasonable to me.
And yes, my hydrometer does read 1000 in water at 20C!

Are you doing overnight mashes? I got to 1.008 once but that was a rarity. Usually finish around 1.010 - 1.012 depending on the beer..

Edit... i do 90 minute mashes

Yes mash temp is likely the answer, you need to check your thermometers as well as your hydrometers.

Mash was probably around 100 mins, because I had to go out and do something once mashed in. Mashed in at around 66 but had dropped to 64 by the end. So presumably length and temp of mash meant more fermentable sugars than if I'd mashed warmer and for a shorter period, perhaps? I normally only do 60 minute mashes these days, and vary the temp according to beer style, but this one I didn't have much time to play with - it got the temp and time it got, as it were.

Latest posts

Back