Safale K-97

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of using this?

I’m putting my next 3 brews to ether for an order this week or next and plan to do the Greg Hughes Kölsch.

From my online reading I think this might be my yeast if I go for a dried one (which I probably will as I’m not sure when I’ll be making my brews so not sure about time to make a starter).

The book suggests US-05 as the dried yeast but I thought that although Kölsch is clean and crisp, it should have that distinctive “German” flavour I pick up from German beers.

Is this the yeast I should use?

I've used CML Kolsch yeast a couple of times now, and I like it lots. Whether you choose the safale or another brand I would definitely go for a Kolsch yeast if you want to make a Kolsch. Pretty distinctive flavour profile in my humble opinion

I recently did a SMaSH with k-97. It's a nice yeast that flocculated well.
The beer was super smooth with nice small bubbles and a great head.

Although it does make your farts smell quite bad

Last year I brewed an alt with this yeast that turned out pretty good.
I plan to use it on my next Widmer type American wheat beer.

I've used CML Kolsch yeast a couple of times now, and I like it lots. Whether you choose the safale or another brand I would definitely go for a Kolsch yeast if you want to make a Kolsch. Pretty distinctive flavour profile in my humble opinion
How would you describe cml Kolsh? I'm drinking a beer made with it now and it's almost peppery and drying. It's reminds me a bit of rocket. The salad thing, not the Def Leppard/Beyonce/Smashing Pumkins song. But then again I just ate some rocket.

How would you describe cml Kolsh? I'm drinking a beer made with it now and it's almost peppery and drying. It's reminds me a bit of rocket. The salad thing, not the Def Leppard/Beyonce/Smashing Pumkins song. But then again I just ate some rocket.
I'm rubbish at describing flavours (better at describing music!). The beer I made has quite a bit of Munich malt and is hopped mostly with saaz. It is malty with a sweet almost honey-like note to start, and then there is a crisp drier finish. Not sure I get any pepper.

Massive Krausen 8 days after pitching still. It must be about 2 inches thick of stiff foam.

I think this one might be spending 3 weeks in primary minimum!

Latest posts

Back