Safale s-04

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zappa86

Reaction score
I've been brewing a porter using s-04 and I have to say it has been a beast of a yeast! Went off like a rocket the evening I added it, struggled to keep the temperature down (was at bubbling away at 20C in a room at 14C!) and today after 2 weeks I emptied the collection ball of my conical to find a litre of solid compacted 'mud', it was a real bugger to empty out. Noticed a couple of bubbles again today from the airlock before I emptied the ball, hope this isn't out of the ordinary, not frequent as I can stare at it for an age after I notice a bubble and don't see another.

Anyone else use this yeast, and is it normal what I'm finding?

I've used it a few times and on my last brew which was a stout I bottled today.I found it lively on the first few days then settles down but consistently working in the background.👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

I can confirm it starts off quickly but don't know beyond that as it's the first I've used it. I can hear it bubbling away as I type.

Oh one other thing, I spent a day at a brewery recently and they were using half so4 and half Nottingham dried yeasts so if it's I good enough for them.

Oh one other thing, I spent a day at a brewery recently and they were using half so4 and half Nottingham dried yeasts so if it's I good enough for them.
I liked how it was a very heavy and compact sediment, didn't feel I was losing much beer. It actually had a similar feel and consistency to wet sand.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I've used it a few times and on my last brew which was a stout I bottled today.I found it lively on the first few days then settles down but consistently working in the background.👍

Sent from my ALE-L21
Hopefully it's been bubbling all the time just very slowly since I thought it had stopped, worried it has maybe got an infection and it has started to ferment again. It smells very nice at the moment though..

Hopefully it's been bubbling all the time just very slowly since I thought it had stopped, worried it has maybe got an infection and it has started to ferment again. It smells very nice at the moment though..

Once in the fermenter let it work in peace and keep an eye on temp as mine did go to 23 degrees once but sorted.
It's totally different to US05 but shall happily use again.
After ten days then two weeks check gravity and if no change transfer to secondary for another two weeks to let the yeast clean up then bottle and condition for another few.I use 2+2+2 and have found its great for clearing and no gushers 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

I've been brewing a porter using s-04 and I have to say it has been a beast of a yeast! Went off like a rocket the evening I added it, struggled to keep the temperature down (was at bubbling away at 20C in a room at 14C!) and today after 2 weeks I emptied the collection ball of my conical to find a litre of solid compacted 'mud', it was a real bugger to empty out. Noticed a couple of bubbles again today from the airlock before I emptied the ball, hope this isn't out of the ordinary, not frequent as I can stare at it for an age after I notice a bubble and don't see another.

Anyone else use this yeast, and is it normal what I'm finding?
Ive used SO4 a lot, only because I bottle all my beer and it sticks to the bottom of the bottle like sh*t to a blanket......no other reason.:grin:

Ive used SO4 a lot, only because I bottle all my beer and it sticks to the bottom of the bottle like sh*t to a blanket......no other reason.:grin:
That is good to know! :D Just had a less than successful Hefe where I actually had to consider pouring it through a tea strainer into the glass.

Robin54 has made my day with that comment, I bottle all my beer and have this yeast in a high gravity IPA at the minute, it took over 24 hours to get going but is fermenting beautifully now

That is good to know! :D Just had a less than successful Hefe where I actually had to consider pouring it through a tea strainer into the glass.

Personal preference of course but aren't Hefes supposed to be a little like that and non flocculant

Great! I've been using CML for maybe 2 years but fancy a change for a while, so got 2 packs s-04 last week. I have used it in the distant past and can't for the life of me remember what it's like. Being a tight wad, I think I only stopped using it when repackaged ( ie cheap ) Notty became available.

I was talking to the brewer at my local Micro the other day he recommends S04 for bottled beers for the way it compacts down in the bottle.

It is very good for sticking to the bottom of bottles but in my experience Nottingham is even better.

Mangrove jack's M42 strong ale yeast is like cement in the bottom of a bottle!
Literally have to half full the empty with hot water and put your thumb over the end and shake it for 30sec to start to shift it

S-04 can be a bit of a bitch. Me, and a few others had trouble with stuck fermentations with it.

I found a few articles saying it's really sensitive to temperature drops so don't pitch at 25c if you're brewing at 20. Because it can generate a lot of its own heat at the start if you haven't got temperature control then after it calms down the resulting temp drop can sometimes cause it to flocculate out so they advised pitching it under the ambient temperature. It's this sensitivity that causes the stall but then it sorts itself out on the 2nd or 3rd repitch.

It really is good in the bottle and you can pour out the whole thing.

I'll post a link if I can find the piece.

Last edited:
I´m using S04 in a Woodfordes Admirals and its been going for nearly 4 weeks , its stowed down now but still bubbles every 5 mins.
I had the same with the temp at the beginning as it was hitting 24 with a room temp of 18 .
But at least it didn't get stuck.

Latest posts

Back