SafBrew T-58 yeast

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Mash Monster

Reaction score
Hi All I have a Leffe Clone from MM which has now been bottle conditioning for 4 weeks. Although It looks the part crystal clear with good carbonation. There is a definite taste that is not to my liking a cross between bubble gum and banana!
I can’t detect any cloves or pepper notes which is what I was expecting. Having never used T-58 before is this a normal characteristic for this strain ? If so will the strong flavours reduce over time ? Any advice welcomed

chthon

Landlord.
Reaction score
Interesting question. I have been brewing a Kasteel Donker clone with the T-58, and only bottled last week. When moving over to secondary (from open fermentation), I also smelled much banana. After secondary fermentation (with adjunct candi sugar and caramel), and before bottling the banana was gone. My wife and I tasted wat remained after bottling, and we were actually surprised how good it tasted, no bubble gum or banana.

And for fermentation, I actually pitched my dry yeast in my wort at 30° C, before moving the kettle to an environment of 18° C. 4 hours later I already got a big, fat kraüsen...

Mash Monster

Reaction score
Many thanks chthon
Mine has gone the other way There was no banana taste or smell at the bottling stage it has only become apparent after conditioning. I suppose I will have to give it a little longer and hope for the best.

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
I used to like T-58 when I was using it, but it did need patience (notes from Nov 2016 brew).
Capture.JPG

I was a bit more descriptive a year earlier (2015):
CaptureTwo.JPG

But if you really wanted to shock people, the same manufacturer had their "Abbaye" yeast!

Mash Monster

Reaction score
Many thanks for the notes looks like I’m in for a long wait !
Thankfully I have a full cellar at the moment 😋

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
T-58 is supposed to taste like that. It's what it's for. See "product details" about half way down the page. I understand that with these phenolic "yeasts" you get cloves at the lower end of the fermentation range and bananas at the higher end.

Sadfield

Landlord.
Reaction score
T-58 is supposed to taste like that. It's what it's for. See "product details" about half way down the page. I understand that with these phenolic "yeasts" you get cloves at the lower end of the fermentation range and bananas at the higher end.
That's interesting. Mash schedule plays a part too, affecting how much ferulic acid is produced, that gets converted into clove flavours.

Mash Monster

Reaction score
Clearly I still have a lot to learn about how yeast affects the taste and aroma of the final product. Thank you all for your helpful comments

Northern_Brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
4 hours later I already got a big, fat kraüsen...
Yep, that's very typical, it's one of the fastest-starting yeast I know.

a cross between bubble gum and banana!
I can’t detect any cloves or pepper notes which is what I was expecting. Having never used T-58 before is this a normal characteristic for this strain ?
T-58 is not strongly phenolic, its reputation is more for black pepper rather than cloves and that's certainly been my experience of it. It's a close relative of Windsor and is best thought of as a slightly phenolic version of Windsor rather than a classic "Belgian" yeast.

You can play around with the mash and fermentation conditions a bit to push the esters etc, but it's not going to suddenly turn into Munich Classic or something.

It is very biotransformative though, if you use it in say a 5g/l Chinook SMaSH it will turn the Chinook's grapefruit into lime, it tastes like a completely different hop was used.

H0PM0NSTER

Regular.
Reaction score
I've used T-58 a couple of times. Worked well in a wheat beer giving good peppery tones. Tried it again in a chocolate stout where I was hoping a high temp fermentation could deliver banana flavours. Got a nice stout but absolutely no banana. Maybe I needed to be braver with the temps as it was brewed at 24c.

Cherish your banana/ bubblegum flavours - sounds like a result!

Hop_it

Reaction score
I have never used T58, so I cannot comment on your particular experience. However, I have successfully used several other SafAle and SafLager types There is a lot of information available on the Fermentis web site (Fermentis yeasts and fermentation solutions for beer, wine, spirits…). It's worth looking under the following headings:
  • Fermentation Solutions/You create beer, and
  • Tips and Tricks/For you, brewers.
There is a lot of good information about yeasts in general, and about their own products. You can download a datasheet for each product. I have found their descriptions of the fermentation characteristics/flavours to be reasonably accurate so far.

Mash Monster

Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick update after another month bottle conditioning. The banana and bubblegum flavours have completely mellowed and it has turned out to be a true to style Belgian blond. Must try it in a side by side comparison with Leffe to see how tue it is. Once again thanks to all for your comments and encouragement

pilgrimhudd

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can't say I noticed too much yeast flavour in my Belgian Stout with T-58 but in my IPA it seems very peppery, no clove or banana at all.