SafBrew T-58 yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All I have a Leffe Clone from MM which has now been bottle conditioning for 4 weeks. Although It looks the part crystal clear with good carbonation. There is a definite taste that is not to my liking a cross between bubble gum and banana!
I can’t detect any cloves or pepper notes which is what I was expecting. Having never used T-58 before is this a normal characteristic for this strain ? If so will the strong flavours reduce over time ? Any advice welcomed

Interesting question. I have been brewing a Kasteel Donker clone with the T-58, and only bottled last week. When moving over to secondary (from open fermentation), I also smelled much banana. After secondary fermentation (with adjunct candi sugar and caramel), and before bottling the banana was gone. My wife and I tasted wat remained after bottling, and we were actually surprised how good it tasted, no bubble gum or banana.

And for fermentation, I actually pitched my dry yeast in my wort at 30° C, before moving the kettle to an environment of 18° C. 4 hours later I already got a big, fat kraüsen...

Many thanks chthon
Mine has gone the other way There was no banana taste or smell at the bottling stage it has only become apparent after conditioning. I suppose I will have to give it a little longer and hope for the best.

I used to like T-58 when I was using it, but it did need patience (notes from Nov 2016 brew).
Capture.JPG

I was a bit more descriptive a year earlier (2015):
CaptureTwo.JPG

But if you really wanted to shock people, the same manufacturer had their "Abbaye" yeast!

T-58 is supposed to taste like that. It's what it's for. See "product details" about half way down the page. I understand that with these phenolic "yeasts" you get cloves at the lower end of the fermentation range and bananas at the higher end.
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/safbrew-t-58
That's interesting. Mash schedule plays a part too, affecting how much ferulic acid is produced, that gets converted into clove flavours.

4 hours later I already got a big, fat kraüsen...

Yep, that's very typical, it's one of the fastest-starting yeast I know.

a cross between bubble gum and banana!
I can’t detect any cloves or pepper notes which is what I was expecting. Having never used T-58 before is this a normal characteristic for this strain ?

T-58 is not strongly phenolic, its reputation is more for black pepper rather than cloves and that's certainly been my experience of it. It's a close relative of Windsor and is best thought of as a slightly phenolic version of Windsor rather than a classic "Belgian" yeast.

You can play around with the mash and fermentation conditions a bit to push the esters etc, but it's not going to suddenly turn into Munich Classic or something.

It is very biotransformative though, if you use it in say a 5g/l Chinook SMaSH it will turn the Chinook's grapefruit into lime, it tastes like a completely different hop was used.

I've used T-58 a couple of times. Worked well in a wheat beer giving good peppery tones. Tried it again in a chocolate stout where I was hoping a high temp fermentation could deliver banana flavours. Got a nice stout but absolutely no banana. Maybe I needed to be braver with the temps as it was brewed at 24c.

Cherish your banana/ bubblegum flavours - sounds like a result!

I have never used T58, so I cannot comment on your particular experience. However, I have successfully used several other SafAle and SafLager types There is a lot of information available on the Fermentis web site (Fermentis yeasts and fermentation solutions for beer, wine, spirits…). It's worth looking under the following headings:
  • Fermentation Solutions/You create beer, and
  • Tips and Tricks/For you, brewers.
There is a lot of good information about yeasts in general, and about their own products. You can download a datasheet for each product. I have found their descriptions of the fermentation characteristics/flavours to be reasonably accurate so far.

Hi guys just a quick update after another month bottle conditioning. The banana and bubblegum flavours have completely mellowed and it has turned out to be a true to style Belgian blond. Must try it in a side by side comparison with Leffe to see how tue it is. Once again thanks to all for your comments and encouragement

Back