Safe Brewing

Discussion in 'General Beer Discussion' started by terrym, Jul 26, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Dec 27, 2019 #41

DavidDetroit

DavidDetroit

DavidDetroit

Landlord.

Maybe not a BSA, necessarily, but I shake my head when I see that--bye, bye skin in just a minor dust up.

Gulpitdarn likes this.
  2. Dec 29, 2019 #42

hedgerowpete

hedgerowpete

hedgerowpete

Regular. Supporting Member

one of the items not mentioned so far is wet and a slippage. every thing is covered in water or soap or sanitiser as well as your own hands, the acid or alkale of the cleaner is going to soften your grip and hands, then your into bear hugs and beer kegs and screw tops.

the chances of it just slipping out of your grip and shooting off is large so is the idea it could suddenly give and a cap and a load of wine or beer is off out the can too.

all that rotational force and load is not going to do my back any good in fact its a great way to slip a disk

3. Jan 7, 2020 #43

decanter2020

decanter2020

decanter2020

Toxicology is all about concentration. A beach is where sand meets water; but if you place a grain of sand on the edge of your bathtub, you haven't made a beach.

Any substance is harmless in small enough quantities. Any substance is toxic in large enough quantities. Your own cells produce methanol during the normal course of cellular metabolism. But they produce it in small enough quantities that it gets immediately metabolized into something else before it can do any damage.

You will drink methanol in your beer. (And you'll eat it in your food, etc.) Your liver will then quickly metabolize it and you'll never know you had it. If you drink enough beer to suffer a single adverse effect from the methanol, you will die of ethanol poisoning or water toxicity.

Same thing with spices. If they were dangerously toxic, they wouldn't be used as spices. You'll suffer from eating too much food or drinking too much mead long before the spices did any damage.

4. Jan 7, 2020 #44

Justin Dean

Justin Dean

Justin Dean

I brew in my garage and this year the damp has really affected it with a spread of mildew everywhere. Cleaned it all out and thrown away all mdf and put a dehumidifier in. No brewing for the foreseeable until I get new shelving.

5. Jan 7, 2020 #45

TastyMcbrewski

TastyMcbrewski

TastyMcbrewski

Hi Justin, this caught my eye as I brew in my untanked cellar which is naturally damp (and mold does grow on anything fabric down there).

With the FV being a mostly closed system, what leads you to think this would be a problem? Genuine question, my understanding on this is very limited!

6. Jan 8, 2020 #46

DCBC

DCBC

DCBC

Does anyone know if diluted StarSan is safe to breathe in (in accidental, small amounts in spray form)?

If I create a mist of it having sprayed a surface or a vessel and it ends up in the air, even in small amounts, it tickles my lungs and makes me cough. That's not a problem really as long as it doesn't cause long-term problems!

Cheers

7. Jan 29, 2020 #47

HarryFlatters

HarryFlatters

HarryFlatters

Not sure for certain, but I've seen lots of people on YouTube use a spray bottle full of diluted StarSan, and I do so myself to no ill effects (so far).

8. Jan 29, 2020 #48

Drunkula

Drunkula

Drunkula

Landlord.

It's absolutely safe. It's about as dangerous as breathing in the gas from a can of coke when you take a drink.

9. Jan 30, 2020 #49

DCBC

DCBC

DCBC

HarryFlatters likes this.
  10. Feb 14, 2020 #50

MrL73

MrL73

MrL73

About as tasty as well, when a siphon went a little quicker than I was expecting. Quite tempted to carb some up and see if I can spot the difference in a blind triangle test.

Draft saved Draft deleted