Safe Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A week has passed and apart from sleepless nights/irritation and frustration the physical side of things has been embedded pain in my wrist which is healing though driving me crazy.This is something nobody wants so be extremely careful when brewing regardless how you feel about it.
Shall see if I get some more footage tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20190731_005236.jpg
    IMG_20190731_005236.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 181
Brewing is not that dangerous unless you're an idiot.
You are mostly right. But there are idiots out there doing all sorts of stuff. And even if you are not an idiot having one too many beers or becoming distracted, or poorly organised, or complacent, can make some elements of brewing unsafe due to some of the processes undertaken. That's why there is an extensive HSAW culture in the developed world to try to ensure accidents are kept to minimum, and that's why in a much lower key way we have this thread to remind people to be careful in what they do, but how they do it is entirely up to them.

That's the second time I've read you're using E45 cream. Now I'm curious what happened. You can't be on death's door since you're posting but what happened (if you don't mind saying)?
Read through the note at the bottom of the OP
And in the meantime if you want an example of how things can go badly wrong when you take your eye off the ball and where two of the above risks combine (drinking and hot liquids) look up what happened to @Gerryjo here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/dont-take-your-eye-off-the-boil.82773/

I've got one for you;

If, like me, you stick your immersion chiller in the boiling wort at the end of the boil to sanitise it do not then grab said chiller with your bare hands - it will be hot! aheadbutt

Had to run my hand under cold water for a few mins but I was fine - but a stark reminder not too be such a doofus!

i can attest that propping up a near boiling 30ltr vessel on a stool with one hand and fiddling about with the electrics beneath with the other while having forgot to switch it off at the wall is probably not one of the thought processes that can be described in hindsight without a lot of cursing, disbelief and a general loss of self respect.

i can attest that propping up a near boiling 30ltr vessel on a stool with one hand and fiddling about with the electrics beneath with the other while having forgot to switch it off at the wall is probably not one of the thought processes that can be described in hindsight without a lot of cursing, disbelief and a general loss of self respect.
It's amazing how distracted you can become when a brew doesn't go as planned...

It's also a good idea not brew wearing flip-flops (thongs in Oz). Love flip flops and wear them all year round, but I really tell myself I shouldn't be brewing (or cooking for that matter) in them.

shouldn't be brewing (or cooking for that matter) in them.
Just shootin' the breeze here about a thought I had and hopefully I'm not repeating myself!
What you mention is a pretty standard bit of safety protocol in the restaurant business (plus health code). I worked with hot fry oil (350°F or 177°C) daily for years and years. A coworker was draining the hot grease and filled his work boot resulting in a grisly outcome because all that grease was kept in one spot to do the most damage. Now, if he had been wearing a flip-flop, I think the damage would have been greatly reduced. Same goes with wearing long sleeves while frying: the cloth absorbs and sits. Quite a few times, I've "squeegeed" grease from my arm to be left with a very minor burn to none at all. Had I been wearing a long sleeve, the damage would be complete before I could react.
On the other hand, properly secured boots might have let in a minor amount.
This is not a dissertation against work boots.

Latest posts

Back