Safe to dry hop with homegrown hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
Just wondering what other growers do?
Am I OK to just dump 40g of homegrown hops into my FV?
I've previously only ever used homegrown hops in the boil,
and I had a sudden panic about putting un-sterile hops in my beer.

From what i've read, and I'm no expert I should say, Hops have antibacterial oils and compounds within them. So.... assuming they have not been sprayed with any nasty chemicals, and are free of bugs and insects, they should be fine.
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for the more sage advice, as I hopefully have a bag or two of freshly picked hops coming my way soon.
I wonder if a good wash in cool water might be an idea to wash off any dust or little bugs?

Thanks @Alex.mc,
I've always just dumped shop bought hops (leaf or pellet) straight into the FV without a worry.
But I recently did a kit from LoveBrewing, and their dry hopping method was to put the hops in a jug; pour boiling water over them; and then scoop out the wet hops and put them into the FV. It seemed a bit odd, but I wondered if it was something to do with sterilising the hops before they went into the FV?

You could try a hop tea at 65C as recommended by David Heath on you-tube. 65C is around pasterurisation temps, I think, for a steep of 30 mins plus.

You could try a hop tea at 65C as recommended by David Heath on you-tube. 65C is around pasterurisation temps, I think, for a steep of 30 mins plus.

Thanks, I might look that up and give it a try.
I guess it would also solve problem of loose leaf in the Fv when it cones to bottling time.

Latest posts

Back