Saint Austell Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarence

Landlord.
Reaction score
I posted this question in another thread, but it was probably the wrong one.
Has anyone cultured and used the yeast from Proper Job? If so, how did you find it? I've just done it and it has gone absolutely wild. I thought the West Yorkshire yeast was crazy, but I think this one has the edge.
I'd love to hear anybody else's experience with this yeast.

do we know if this is the fermentation yeast or a bottling yeast?
I'm guessing here, but I think if it attenuates the wort to a decent FG then it's a proper yeast since bottling yeasts don't usually touch maltose. At least F-2 is supposed not to. Found an interesting reply over at Jim's where the Head Brewer said they reseed the beer with fresh main strain yeast, but that was in 2009!

Had a busy day yesterday so didn't get chance to clean up my fermenter and transfer the beer. The beer was pitched Sunday evening, by Tuesday morning the yeast had burst it's way out of it's fermenter- think Bruce Banner changing into The Hulk- and this morning it's quiet- it's finished fermenting and it's nearly clear. There's a thick layer of barm on the surface, which I've cropped, but underneath it's nearly clear. I've never seen a yeast behave like this. I've racked it into a clean fermenter to clear and I expect to bottle it over the next couple of days. I'll post OG and FG readings in a bit.

The OG was 1054 and the RG is 1008. No discernible off-flavours from over-fast fermentation. It's cloudy again as I let some of the yeast carry over to ensure fermentation finished properly. Mr racking was so I could clean up the fermenter.

Last edited:
Bottled the beast this morning although I could have done that days ago. The FG is 1004 and the beer is absolutely crystal clear and tastes lovely. No way of cold crashing and ambient didn't go below 22C during the day although it did get a bit cooler during the night. The character of the beer is malt forward and, as far as I can tell so far, the yeast has contributed little or no flavour. I had reservations at the beginning. but I think I'm going to be using it again.

Sounds like a great result well done

I always assumed it was some chico kind of strain but I don't know
Ive used US-05, Lallemmand Diamond and CML Five and they're all good, clean yeasts although Diamond is well Pongy. This one was clearing before the thick, rocky head had even dropped. While I'm sure it's not, it seems to have some of the legendary properties that people describe when they're talking about using some of the kveik isolates: big yeast head, rapid fermentation, quick to clear, high attenuation. But there's no citrussy flavour that I've detected yet.

Was it a big hassle cultivating the Proper Job yeast?
I want to do it but don't have a stir plate.
One of the quickest and most enthusiastic yeasts I've ever cultivated-probably a very fresh batch. I haven't got a stir plate and don't intend getting one. Another useless piece of equipment- there's so much pleasure just picking up the flask and swirling it every time you go past it.
60g malt extract in 600ml water boiled and poured into sterile 1 litre conical flask. Cooled in sink. Beer opened and poured into glass. Dregs of bottle added to flask. Half the beer poured down throat- the other half poured down the sink- it's horrible, full of ghastly, dank, American hops!
On third day, Made up small batch brew to grow the yeast (12 litres) Chevallier 85%, Simpsons Imperial 15%, First Gold hops to 45 IBUs assuming 20% utiisation, 10g Bramling Cross -10 mins, 10g Bramling Cross at flameout. Pitch yeast and wait for the explosion. OG 1055

In short it's very easy to do. If you make up my recipe, don't be afraid of the IBUs- Chevallier eats them alive and I wish I'd used more.
Harvested one batch from the top and a second one from the bottom after bottling.

Now that's what I call a proper job.

Latest posts

Back