Saison Dupont

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evenin all. Does anyone know - for sure - whether Saison Dupont is bottled with the primary strain? I got a few bottles in for Christmas and I'd like to culture the yeast up for a saison I'll be brewing soon. Don't want to waste time and effort culturing up a bottling yeast, and I've read various differing opinions. Cheers.

Broken Toe

Regular.
Reaction score
Funny enough i am in the same situation. From what I have heard (I presume from a reputable source, but I can't remember) it is. I plan to be doing mine for the spring, but if you get yours in earlier I would be intrigued how it goes.

I have a single 750ml bottle and was planning to clean and culture that into a starter.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thing is I've got some - admittedly pretty ancient - wyeast 3711 from an overbuilt starter sitting in the fridge, and I think I'd rather resurrect and use that than take a chance..... unless I do a split batch of course 🤔

Hanglow

Landlord.
Reaction score
Not tried it but I've extensively googled this before, and as we all know google cannot be wrong, aheadbutt, and I don;t think it is unfortunately. A lot of breweries will use a bottling yeast for consistency. It might well have some viable SD primary yeast in it, but I suspect the majority of it is another strain.

Can you do a really small batch? say 5l. That means any step up from a bottle of SD is say 30ml>300ml> your batch of 5l of wort. That should work, as long as you pitch the 300ml starter at high krausen.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Not tried it but I've extensively googled this before, and as we all know google cannot be wrong, aheadbutt, and I don;t think it is unfortunately. A lot of breweries will use a bottling yeast for consistency. It might well have some viable SD primary yeast in it, but I suspect the majority of it is another strain.

Can you do a really small batch? say 5l. That means any step up from a bottle of SD is say 30ml>300ml> your batch of 5l of wort. That should work, as long as you pitch the 300ml starter at high krausen.
I'm inclined to suspect that you are correct. Yes a small test batch might be the way to go, perhaps ferment a gallon in a DJ with the SD yeast as part of a split batch experiment

Sadfield

Landlord.
Reaction score
In the Phil Markowski book Farmhouse Brewing it states that Dupont is centrifuged and unpasteurised. This would lead towards removal of the primary yeast and bottling with another. It also states that primary fermentation is done at 30-35°C and conditioning is done at 23-24°C. Which is quiet a difference if it is the same yeast.

Thorbz

Reaction score
I've used the yeast from Saison Dupont a number of times, and it was absolutely, 100% the real deal. However, the last few times I haven't even been able to culture anything up, so the brewery have changed their brewing process ( or I've lost my yeast reculturing mojo ). Great shame, as there's none of this ' Saison Dupont stall ' BS with the bottle-cultured stuff, it caned the wort down to about 1.004, and made amazing beer.

Last edited:

matt76

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slight tangent - I had my first Saison Dupont recently, and rather enjoyed it, plus I've still got another waiting for me in the fridge.

But isn't it made (somehow, at somepoint) with a brettanomyces strain in addition to saccharomyces? Or am I mistaken and it's purely saccharomyces?

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've used the yeast from Saison Dupont a number of times, and it was absolutely, 100% the real deal. However, the last few times I haven't even been able to culture anything up, so the brewery have changed their brewing process ( or I've lost my yeast reculturing mojo ). Great shame, as there's none of this ' Saison Dupont stall ' BS with the botle-cultured stuff, it caned the wort down to about 1.004, and made amazing beer.
Thanks, there's enough encouragement on this thread for me to at least give it a whirl on a gallon of wort if I can get a viable starter 👍

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Slight tangent - I had my first Saison Dupont recently, and rather enjoyed it, plus I've still got another waiting for me in the fridge.

But isn't it made (somehow, at somepoint) with a brettanomyces strain in addition to saccharomyces? Or am I mistaken and it's purely saccharomyces?
Don't think there's Brett in Saison Dupont mate

Hanglow

Landlord.
Reaction score
Yeah no bret in dupont. Orval has bret added at bottling, maybe that is what you are thinking of? Both exceptional beers imo.

I've recently brewed two saisons with OYL-042, which is WY 3726 and from from Blaugies who supposedly got their yeast from Dupont. It makes a terrific saison, doesn't finish quite as low as the dupont strain but has bags of character. Ferments fine at 30c and while it is a tad slower than british yeasts, finishes no problem in a week.

foxbat

Landlord.
Reaction score
Don't think there's Brett in Saison Dupont mate
No Brett but if it's WLP565/Wyeast 3724 then the yeast is Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus that has the wild diastaticus gene. I've just brewed a Belgian with a diastaticus yeast and it went from 1.063 to 1.008 in 72 hours and finished at 1.002 ashock1. I've thoroughly nuked my fermenter with boiling water and will be doing the same to the corny, lines and tap after it's finished!

Broken Toe

Regular.
Reaction score
For what it is worth I managed to build a starter from the 750ml bottle. It took a while to build it up, about two weeks or so, pitched it into a simple wort I had left over from at batch.

It had the classic saison taste to it, I didn't carb or condition it (I'll be doing that with an upcoming batch) so it was obviously lacking what a lot of CO2 will bring to the party.

But I would call it a success, and certainly worth a shot if you still have that bottle hanging about.