Saison-esque brew (Swap request)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I brewed this - which was supposed to be a Pelforth Brun Clone, but because I changed the type of yeast, it ended up more Saison-y (I think) and that is part of the problem; I don't really have a knowledge of saisons (or brewing for that matter)

I did have some issue with carbonation, but I think that is largely sorted after having added more sugar, but read through the thread and you will see what updates I posted.

Does anyone have a particular interest / expertise in saisons that would be prepared to do a swap and offer some constructive criticism on the brew?

Many thanks, Phil

I wouldn't claim to be an expert by any means but I have a fair bit of experience in drinking and brewing saison (including a couple of BJCP medal winners). The thing is though I don't have a saison ready right now (I'm brewing one next week) but I do have a bretted Belgian pale in the meantime, and a promise of a saison when it's ready?

Steve - you are too kind

It may not be an actual saison, when you consider the grain bill - whatever hybrid it is, I'd really appreciate feedback as I'm not sure if it's particularly off (in terms of style) or not that far off but not to my taste.

Thank you

Steve beat me to it. Sounds interesting curious to hear about it. Is it dry hitting that low of an og?

I just had a look at your brewday post, well that's an interesting one for sure. With all that special B and brown sugar in there I wonder if it might be more dubbel than saison? Really intrigued to try it though, I've toyed with the idea of brewing a dark saison over the years but never done it.

I just had a look at your brewday post, well that's an interesting one for sure. With all that special B and brown sugar in there I wonder if it might be more dubbel than saison? Really intrigued to try it though, I've toyed with the idea of brewing a dark saison over the years but never done it.
Yeah - Pelforth Brun is more like a dubbel, but as I said (somewhere); in my foolhardiness, I replaced the recommended S-04 for a saison yeast, which I'm now regretting. So it won't be a real saison and it's not a dubbel, hence my request for feedback athumb..

Steve beat me to it. Sounds interesting curious to hear about it. Is it dry hitting that low of an og?
Again, I'm not an expert here....

It certainly attenuated more than I expected and especially with a OG of 1070 and finishing so low has ended up in the 8.3% region.

I wouldn't say dry, but thin in terms of mouthfeel (I think). (Is that the same as dry?) There isn't much body, but what there is is an alcohol heat and a faint fruity taste. As per the other post, I picked up maraschino cherry.

I'm happy to send a bottle out for your thoughts. Ping me a PM with your addr and I will stick in the post.

Latest posts

Back