Saison recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is getting done either tomorrow or Saturday....pale plus a kg of lager malt I found hiding in the box and wheat. I might bung in a half kg of sugar too. I got Magnum for bittering and I think I'll go with citra for a late addition and hop stand. Yeast m29.
Have to stoke the brew fridge up to 28!

This is getting done either tomorrow or Saturday....pale plus a kg of lager malt I found hiding in the box and wheat. I might bung in a half kg of sugar too. I got Magnum for bittering and I think I'll go with citra for a late addition and hop stand. Yeast m29.
Have to stoke the brew fridge up to 28!
That sounds like a good plan to me Clint 👍. I've done something very similar on several occasions and I love it.

i have been a bit underwhelmed with m29, it has a nice peppery spice but is very flat tasting to me otherwise. i might recommend doing a post boil acid addition to drop the ph a bit. i would also skip the sugar it is an awesome attenuater and having a little extra body will only help.

Interesting...I could drop the sugar..just leave as is then? Or sub the sugar with anything? What mash temp would be best?
I like my saison nice and dry (and fizzy) and I'm not sure that it is a style that needs body. I use about half that amount of sugar (250g) in a 23l batch, and mash at 64*c. I've only recently used wy3711 and get attenuation in the 90's.

Thanks...I'm thinking the low mash temp will give higher attenuation and a thinner beer?
I'm also considering an over night mash to save a bit of time the next day...

My recent Saison turned out very dry. The addition of sugar, similar amount to Oneflewover, and a super attenuating Belle Saison got me to 95% attenuation.

If I did this again (and I will) I'd bump the temperature up earlier. I started cautiously low at 23degC if I recall and started bumping up the temps after a few days. It was done before I got to 27degC. Next time I'd start a couple of degrees higher to get more peppery spice.

Good luck with yours Clint athumb..

I like my saison nice and dry (and fizzy) and I'm not sure that it is a style that needs body. I use about half that amount of sugar (250g) in a 23l batch, and mash at 64*c. I've only recently used wy3711 and get attenuation in the 90's.
yeah body isnt the right word, its just very thin tasting. i probably didnt carb mine enough either. i also used crystal and mashed at 65c. i think it is down at 1.005 from 1.052 with m29 so very good attenuation.

Last edited:
i would rate them

be-134
belle saison
m29

in that order. they are all good, m29 is quite unique, the other two are more standard saisons and much less peppery.

Here's one to get you inspired, @Clint
rps20200604_202444.jpg

Photo doesn't do it justice. Well carbonated, first taste is smooth and a little peppery with a hint of alcohol. The pepper builds after several mouthfuls. Leaves that characteristic dryness on the tongue. This one is aging nicely. :beer1:

A farmer friend said my Saison reminded him of silage. He meant it as a compliment and I took it as such. I think it’s all about the yeast and simple pale/lager malt with a bit of wheat and sugar to dry it out. I can’t see where Citra comes into a French/Belgian beer but each to their own.

I use Saaz, but seriously, lots of people use US hops in European beers. You can buy commercial Belgian beers with them in so don’t let me put you off, each to their own and all that.

Back