Saison recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi @Clint

I used Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo in mine because I wanted a hint of being aged in white wine barrels and orange. The beer is still conditioning but I think it may be developing as I’d hoped. Maybe think about the flavours you want?

Here’s a pic.

View attachment 27051
yum, ill crack open one of my citra saisons tonight and see how its aging.

i also added a bit of additional priming sugar to a couple of bottles to see if i can up the carb levels a bit and make it nice and sparkly. i think i underestimated the original amount or amount of beer to bottle.

Yes....that's what I'll do! I feel the finished beer with its lower IBU of around 30 and it's familiar citra taste will offset the spice backnote and maybe help introduce those away from their normal tipple to something different....
All twaddle! I probably won't be sharing it!

Here is a picture of my last saison, brewed with M29. 80% pale MO, 15% Munich and 5% cara 20 (that's 20 EBC). Started at 1.032, and ended at 1.001. Hopped with Merkur only (bittering, aroma and flavor), 28 IBU. Carbonated at 3.5 volumes CO2.

I also pitched at 23° C, put it in a relatively warm room, and just let the yeast do its work.
20200601_193502.jpg

It might taste a bit more of hops, but I used Merkur only because I wanted to test what the Merkur yielded for aroma and taste. It is nice, but rather subdued. But now that I know this, next time I would use more and other aroma hops at the end and flame-out.

After reading this thread I think I will give a Saison ago. I was thinking pilsner Vienna wheat. I have a soft spot for sorachi ace. Belle Saison yeast as recommended 👍

After reading this thread I think I will give a Saison ago. I was thinking pilsner Vienna wheat. I have a soft spot for sorachi ace. Belle Saison yeast as recommended 👍
This was my effort that's turned out pretty well Cushyno Brewdays etc..
Next time around I'd adjust the recipe to this:

1.8 kg Pale Malt
2.0 kg Pilsner Malt
1.0 kg Vienna
0.200 kg Carapils
0.500 kg Wheat malt
0.200 kg Cane Sugar

20 g Admiral @ 60 Minutes
5 g Admiral @ 10 Minutes
15 g Styrian Goldings @ 10 Minutes
10 g Styrian Goldings @ 0 Minutes
20 g Saaz @ 0 Minutes

Mash at 66°C for 60 mins. Boil 60 mins.
Ferment at 23-29°C with Belle Saison (pitch at 23 and allow to gradually rise from the off, coax up to 29/30)

Planning a Sorachi Saison myself and it seems I'm on the right lines with my recipe - only thing I'm not sure of is the amount of hops. I have a 100g pack and was planning on using the lot, although mostly later in the boil (and dry hopping) so it's not overly bitter - here are my vital statistics:

OG 1.056
FG 1.005
ABV 6.7 (which does seem a bit high but I'm going with it)
IBU 27

70% Pilsner
13% Vienna
10% Wheat Malt
7% Acid Malt (I always use a bit as I live in London and the water is hard)

Hops will be Sorachi Ace (11.0% AA) - 10g (10 IBU) @ 60, 10g (8 IBU) @ 30, 50g hopstand (7 IBU) and 30g dry hop (3 days)

Belle Saison

Any thoughts?

Planning a Sorachi Saison myself and it seems I'm on the right lines with my recipe - only thing I'm not sure of is the amount of hops. I have a 100g pack and was planning on using the lot, although mostly later in the boil (and dry hopping) so it's not overly bitter - here are my vital statistics:

OG 1.056
FG 1.005
ABV 6.7 (which does seem a bit high but I'm going with it)
IBU 27

70% Pilsner
13% Vienna
10% Wheat Malt
7% Acid Malt (I always use a bit as I live in London and the water is hard)

Hops will be Sorachi Ace (11.0% AA) - 10g (10 IBU) @ 60, 10g (8 IBU) @ 30, 50g hopstand (7 IBU) and 30g dry hop (3 days)

Belle Saison

Any thoughts?
Should be good to use up your 100g although I’d maybe add more at flame out.

The Brooklyn Sorachi clone recipe I’m currently fermenting asks for 235g of hops including 175g during the boil. I have tweaked it slightly because 1) I got a 225g bag and didn’t want to buy another 50g just to use 10g and 2) they are 14.8AA and I think the recipe assumes 12 or something.

The only other hoppy saison I’ve done was a citra one, I used 50g but could barely even taste it against the yeast. This one might go the other way.

This will be my next brew just waiting my my order. I will do the same 225g of sorachi ace. Looking forward to it👍
My dry hop is going in today ready for bottling on Friday night. It’s something a bit different to the American beers and lagers I’ve been making recently so will make a nice change.

Should be good to use up your 100g although I’d maybe add more at flame out.

The Brooklyn Sorachi clone recipe I’m currently fermenting asks for 235g of hops including 175g during the boil. I have tweaked it slightly because 1) I got a 225g bag and didn’t want to buy another 50g just to use 10g and 2) they are 14.8AA and I think the recipe assumes 12 or something.

The only other hoppy saison I’ve done was a citra one, I used 50g but could barely even taste it against the yeast. This one might go the other way.

Perfect, thanks Mick! Looks like I didn't need to worry about the amount of hops if Brooklyn use that much.... I'll pinch 10g of each from hopstand and dry hop and add it at 0 min :beer1:

Digging up this thread again because, it's SAISON time!

My previous keg of Saison kicked a couple of weeks back and life feels incomplete without a Saison on the go. Thanks to @Benfleet Brewery I have a little sampler lined up for sometime soon. But moving on, I want to make the most of this fortuitous set of circumstances:
  • An empty keg
  • A bag of rye malt in stock
  • A jar of slurry of complex sugar's public enemy no. 1 in the fridge - Belle Saison yeast
  • A choice of leftovers of Bramling Cross, EKG, Styrian Goldings, Saaz, Fuggles, and a little Citra languishing in the freezer
For base malt I'm thinking 1/3 Vienna, 1/3 Pilsner, 1/6 Rye, 1/3 Wheat, maybe a little carapils thrown in for head.

@samale, @Pennine, @Hazelwood Brewery, @Clint, @MickDundee, @Oneflewover I would really value your input.

I have even considered a rhubarb saison, but the draw of a spicy herby saison with either coriander, thyme or rosemary gets my taste buds tickling right now.

My previous keg of Saison kicked a couple of weeks back and life feels incomplete without a Saison on the go. Thanks to @Benfleet Brewery I have a little sampler lined up for sometime soon. But moving on, I want to make the most of this fortuitous set of circumstances:
  • An empty keg
  • A jar of slurry of complex sugar's public enemy no. 1 in the fridge - Belle Saison yeast
  • A choice of leftovers of Bramling Cross, EKG, Styrian Goldings, Saaz, Fuggles, and a little Citra languishing in the freezer
For base malt I'm thinking 1/3 Vienna, 1/3 Pilsner, 1/6 Rye, 1/3 Wheat, maybe a little carapils thrown in for head.

@samale, @Pennine, @Hazelwood Brewery, @Clint, @MickDundee, @Oneflewover I would really value your input.

I have even considered a rhubarb saison, but the draw of a spicy herby saison with either coriander, thyme or rosemary gets my taste buds tickling right now.

Rhubarb Saison worked OK for me - you want to put maybe 2.5 - 3kg in a full length batch. If you tidy up the stalks and chop them into 1cm chunks, freeze, thaw and add in a mesh bag of some sort in secondary, that worked for me. You could just chuck the whole unfrozen lot in primary, but that could give you a big mess.

@Slid I'd forgotten that you had brewed a rhubarb Saison, but something about it stuck in my mind. Those are some great tips about the "adjuncts", which is, I suppose, the awkward part of brewing a fruit flavoured beer. Thanks!

• An empty keg

Odd you should say that. My local brewery, Leigh onSea Brewery actually do a rhubarb Saison. I’ve never tried it. Perhaps I should 🤔

60EE4330-72D6-4BF4-B9FF-F9D104B0BB46.png

• An empty keg

I'd replace the Vienna with pilsner, and use it somewhere else. You don't need it here. Similarly I wouldn't bother with the carapils. I use some sugar, 5-10% to dry it out. Wheat and rye 👍. Mash quite low, I use 64 degrees C. Aim for OG to get to get to 6-7,% abv, remembering that you're gonna get a low FG with belle saison. Hops.... depends what you want. Bitter to around 20ibus, personally I'd be using EKG or Styrian later in the boil, but I do like citra as a (very) late addition

How long does a 6%ish Saison need to condition for? Does it need a while, like lager, or can you crack on with it once it's carbed and cleared?
Good question. I'm happy to drink young, particularly if lots of late hops used. But it's not like a super hoppy beer where you're left with something bland when the hops have faded. Either way it's one of those beers that changes quite a bit with time I think

Back