Salford Quays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I saw a couple of tweets a few hours ago about police at Salford Quays someone said they believed someone jumped in and didn't surface but no one knew for sure, it has now been confirmed a 19 year old has died

I bet all of us here have done the same at some time in our lives and never thought anything about the risk, terrible that this seems to happen every summer to some poor families.

Last edited:
I hate seeing this like this. Done so many stupid things like this in my youth. Must have 9 lives. I hope my kids learn from things like this.

19-year-old dies after rescue operation at Salford Quays

The 19-year-old was reported missing after going into the water shortly after 4.35pm on Sunday 18 July.

Greater Manchester Police said emergency services had located the man at around 7.40pm.

In a tweet it said: "Sadly, despite a rescue operation at Salford Quays this evening, a 19-year-old man has lost his life.

"Our thoughts are with this young man's family and friends, and the people who witnessed the tragic events. We will provide further updates when we have them."

Eye witness Darren Budgeon said the quayside had been busy with "at least 150 people" swimming and enjoying the sunshine when the teen jumped into the water and got into difficulty.

He said: "The young lad jumped in and before you know it his friends were just shouting out, 'help, help'.

"A few were saying they could see him and were jumping in trying to get him and then all of a sudden he was just gone.

"Then before you knew it all of the police and fire brigade was here."

He said people visit the spot regularly when it is hot, and he had never seen anything like this happen before.

He added: "It was a bit shocking really. When I was watching it I was hoping they would pull him out, but when it got beyond half an hour I knew it wasn't going to be good news."

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service says it received the first of "several 999 calls" at 4.35pm "in relation to a person needing to be rescued from water in Salford Quays".

It added it used fire service boats, divers and under water cameras to locate the male.

The 19-year-old's death comes five years after 16-year-old Jack Pullen died in the River Etherow in Broadbottom, near Hyde.

Since Jack’s death, his uncle Chris Jordan has set up the Jack Pullen Foundation, aimed at educating more people about the dangers of open water.

19-year-old dies after rescue operation at Salford Quays | ITV News Granada

People continue to use the quayside for swimming in the warm weather less than 24 hours after the 19-year-old died.

1626706865922.png

Latest posts

Back