Salopian Oracle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of it but spent 3 good years of my life living in Salop. I'll be interested to hear what you come up with.

The breweries blurb...
Oracle is a crisp, sparklingly sunflower gold ale with a striking hop profile. Dry and refreshing with a long citrus aromatic finish.

The intention of the hop character is to be pronounced but not all encompassing, dry but not overtly bitter and a tiny hint of sweetness to add body. Its one of the most expensive of the Salopian beers to brew as it relies heavily on expensive hops from the US.

The creation of Oracle came about because of the employment of a new member of staff and a trip to a local pub. Jake Douglas joined the brewery in early 2008 having spent a decade at a brewery synonymous with hoppy beers; a promise was made early on to brew a beer to his taste. The trip to the pub was to try a beer of this style. The ambition was to create a balanced low gravity golden beer with a striking hop character. After a period of test brews Oracle was born.

Jake Douglas was at Oakham brewery, so one could assume that long citrus aromatic finish from expensive hops from the US
implies Citra. Pale malt with a hint of low colour crystal such as caramalt, caragold or carapils would achieve a beer with a tiny hint of sweetness to add body.

Aiming of 4% abv, 30 IBUs using Citra at the start of the boil and flame out with around 5% caramalt in the grist, then fermented with something like MJ Liberty Bell, would put you in the right ball park.

EDIT: Just done a search on twitter. The hops are columbus and citra.

Last edited:
Never heard of it but spent 3 good years of my life living in Salop. I'll be interested to hear what you come up with.

Salopian is one of those breweries that doesn't get nearly as much attention as it deserves - no other brewery comes close in terms of consistent success at Champion Beer of Britain in recent years (I can't remember the details but they've had something like 11 medals in the indidual categories in 10 years.

But reliably good normal beer isn't a story.

I've seen suggestions that Oracle is just straight Otter with Brewers Gold, Chinook and Citra, don't know how reliable that is though.

The breweries blurb...

Jake Douglas was at Oakham brewery, so one could assume that long citrus aromatic finish from expensive hops from the US
implies Citra. Pale malt with a hint of low colour crystal such as caramalt, caragold or carapils would achieve a beer with a tiny hint of sweetness to add body.

Aiming of 4% abv, 30 IBUs using Citra at the start of the boil and flame out with around 5% caramalt in the grist, then fermented with something like MJ Liberty Bell, would put you in the right ball park.

EDIT: Just done a search on twitter. The hops are columbus and citra.

Thanks Sadfield, that gives me a good starting point.
Brian

Latest posts

Back