Salty beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just brewed a citra simco ipa with maris otter and it’s due to be kegged today. Tasted a sample and it’s salty ?? Adden the usual amount of gypsum and calcium chloride that I normally do but it tastes very salty. Anyone any experience with this before ? Will it mellow ?
Cheers

Update.
This is going down the drain tomorrow as the taste of salt is still very dominant.
It has to be due to a change in my water chemistry. Pity as it had potential

Apparently calcium chloride solutions do taste ‘salty’ (from a quick google) but I should think your water supply would have to go seriously out-of-whack to get that much of an effect… how many grams per litre of CaCl did you add - also any CRS?

Apparently calcium chloride solutions do taste ‘salty’ (from a quick google) but I should think your water supply would have to go seriously out-of-whack to get that much of an effect… how many grams per litre of CaCl did you add - also any CRS?
Just the normal cacl 1/4 teaspoon in the boil. No crs
I live 500 yards from the pumping station so I might have been unlucky enough to have opened the tap right after some dosing had taken place 🤷‍♂️
Not sure what happened at all but my water did taste salty one day shortly after.
My wife has pointed out that my taste buds have changed since I’ve had covid and I notice salt a lot more now in food so possible combination of factors.

I live 500 yards from the pumping station so I might have been unlucky enough to have opened the tap right after some dosing had taken place 🤷‍♂️
Not sure what happened at all but my water did taste salty one day shortly after.
Bad news either way - you must have been gutted to have to dump the batch.
If it happens again it maybe worth getting a cheap RO setup - I use one similar to this and it works a treat athumb..

Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 11.15.57.png

Latest posts

Back